Feather issues

You can use large dog crates and keep them inside the main flock until they feather out, although this is not a permanent solution, so once they feather out let them out

You can use large dog crates and keep them inside the main flock until they feather out, although this is not a permanent solution, so once they feather out let them out
Yeah. maybe I will try that. Or I will put them in my office where it is warm and safe. But you definitely advise separating the two

If you're sure her feather condition is getting worse, then yes. I say put them in the main coop just because chickens are social animals so they really benefit from being around chickens, even if they just see them. Another thing you can try are those covers used for when a rooster makes a hen bare on her back, though I don't think that would cover the area where she has the most feather loss

If you're sure her feather condition is getting worse, then yes. I say put them in the main coop just because chickens are social animals so they really benefit from being around chickens, even if they just see them. Another thing you can try are those covers used for when a rooster makes a hen bare on her back, though I don't think that would cover the area where she has the most feather loss
I don’t know if you can tell by the picture but the tractor is right next to the larger coop. They can see each other, but I just moved it there yesterday. Maybe that will help. I want To keep them separated from the larger coop because I am worried they will get picked on. The speckled one needs to be kept separate until the bachelor pad is finished because the roosters take turns on her because she is so docile. I don’t want her to be harmed. She is my favorite Roxanne. (All my girls are Roxanne’s, you know, raised under a red light!) an way, I am worried that the roos will overwhelm her.

Young rooster hormones are something else I've got to admit. You can separate the tractor into two, so both the hens are separated from each other, and the flock

Young rooster hormones are something else I've got to admit. You can separate the tractor into two, so both the hens are separated from each other, and the flock
That’s another idea. I will have to talk t Joe (my husband and resident carpenter) and see if he can do that. I ordered 25 more egg layers due in May, so I wanted to use the tractor to grow them out until they are big enough to go into the larger coop. So I am not sure if he will want to modify the tractor. It may just be best to do the dog kennel thing and put them in the office at night until I move the roosters. You would think that the two coops would be enough for them! I would move the roosters but I am afraid the others will pick on the two injured ones

That’s another idea. I will have to talk t Joe (my husband and resident carpenter) and see if he can do that. I ordered 25 more egg layers due in May, so I wanted to use the tractor to grow them out until they are big enough to go into the larger coop. So I am not sure if he will want to modify the tractor. It may just be best to do the dog kennel thing and put them in the office at night until I move the roosters. You would think that the two coops would be enough for them! I would move the roosters but I am afraid the others will pick on the two injured ones

Yes they will, but they also pick on eachother

Back
Top Bottom