Elizabeth: March 2019 - September 2021. RIP.
Elizabeth died suddenly today. I am sad and will miss her.
Yesterday she was running around happily exploring the long grass.
This morning she was fine, though maybe a but a bit less perky than normal. By 5pm she was clearly not long for this world - her comb was turning cold and blue and she was only semi-conscious, and by 6pm she was gone.
You may remember she had been having trouble putting solid shells on her eggs for quite a while in spite of lots of extra calcium. It wasn't that she laid soft shelled eggs (though she did once) but more that the shells were so thin they would crack on impact. So I imagine the cause of her death was something reproductive.
Being thankful for small mercies, it was at least quick.
Hopefully you don't mind me posting some pictures here as a quick tribute to the lovely Elizabeth.

Baby Elizabeth at the top of the ramp with her bff Maggie (Diana is below)
View attachment 2826051

Inspecting roofing material for the soon-to-be-constructed Chicken Palace
View attachment 2826052

Just chilling
View attachment 2826053

The three sisters
View attachment 2826055

Looking for snacks
View attachment 2826057

Snow!
View attachment 2826059

On alert in the long grass
View attachment 2826061

Admiring herself
View attachment 2826062

Picking the best grass seed
View attachment 2826063

Alert while sunbathing
View attachment 2826064

Hanging out with her bff Maggie
View attachment 2826065

Ice cream!
View attachment 2826066

Selecting the best bug
View attachment 2826067

Looking back at these pictures I think she had a good chicken-life albeit too short.
Farewell Elizabeth, you brought me happiness and were well loved.
Rest in peace.
So sorry RC! This was a lovely tribute to her! :hugs :hugs

Happy Fluffy Butt Friday!

IMG_2245.JPG

Duck Butts...not quite as fluffy, but cute nonetheless!
IMG_2748.JPG

Happy Friday from the blue crew. These girls are molting, I just cleaned out their run last night and put fresh sawdust in it. This morning it looked like someone exploded with the amount of dropped feathers. I'm torn with these girls, they all need a butt bath badly, but to do that means catching and holding them. They are warming up to me and hover around my legs, but will run away if I reach down to touch them. I know that when I give them that bath we'll be taking 10 giant leaps backwards with the progress we've made. Their eggs are clean and I'm noticing the feathers they are loosing is from the backend right now. I wonder if we can avoid the bath and they will molt the mess out. If I don't change my mind though I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and give them that bath in the morning. The best way to do it will be to get each girl from the run in the morning and bath her then release her instead of chasing them around. If I do this I just hope they do not hold a grudge for too long.
DSCN5317.JPG
DSCN5316.JPG

Back
Top Bottom