Let's celebrate the crow! There must be some of its crow friends aroundabouts.
Corvids are lovely… I do miss the crows I was used to in the city. I have two pairs of Ravens nesting nearby, and today I fed them two of the more “heavily soiled” eggs. Ok, they just had some muddy claw marks on them, but the ravens were hanging around so… they don’t fully trust me yet, but they are less leery every year. Like “my” geese… 😂 the latest few sets of offspring are also often nearby, and I appreciate them for their service to my chickens. They generally keep the hawks and eagles at bay, and don’t really bother my chickens. Sammy has chased them off once or twice, but usually leaves them alone. I sometimes watch them land and pretend to chicken, walking into the tribe for a snack… trying to land amongst the chickens provokes the wrath of the Roosters, but if they land far enough away and sneak into the flock they can get snacks. They also have a tendency to walk into the hospital tractor and take any eggs laid in there (which, as it’s full of jerk cockerels right now, is zero!)

Speaking of my geese, they are definitely back… with last years three juveniles, and the two from the year before that ❤️ So I’m probably going to be feeding some adorable little goslings again before too long!

Yup, he's a brat. Tonight he kept attacking me so I grabbed him and chucked him out in the snow, about a foot of new snow, and it was darn cold at -11c. But he kept tripping me up.

I continued with the chores checking him a couple times. Then after about 10 min let him in, he went back to attacking me so I chucked him back out so I could get water and hay done. Otherwise I just couldn't walk without him attacking my boots tripping me up!!

I let him in again and he stopped attacking me, he was likely too cold at that point. Not sure what to do with him.
Hmmm, you could try the reverse football carry? Pick him up and tuck him under your arm with the beak behind you, then carry on for a bit with the chores with him under your arm. I did this with Mr Marans a couple times and he quit fussing at me. It’s hard to say, I was able to cure Sammy by figuring out why he was being hostile (thought I was trying to steal his ladies) and earning his trust with meal worms.

Egg update.

Half the eggs all over the floor of the coop. Other half still in nest, covered in yolk. Jess snuggled in on a fake egg and a real one (got the fakes to try to get PITA to lay elsewhere). Nest eggs cold. Disposed of eggs: partial development in 3. At a guess, quit a week ago. Now to test her and see how much she wants to sit on empty nest.
Oh, I missed this post. What a sad outcome! :hugs

Yep 😁 we are a pair of pains haha.

All ok there tonight?
Today was a bit of a challenge, I got off to a slow start because I got a call from DH’s uncle in the morning And we chatted for a bit about the house, then I took the goats on a good walk around the perimeter of the four nearest fields then back up our road to the corral by the house. It went quite well until two tree piles before the build when we found a Big dead Billy. I’m not sure quite what happened to him and he was about 3-4 days ripe so I certainly wasn’t going to try to figure it out with Jimmy and Arduinna on leash.

Then it was two rolls of tuck tape, lots of staples, and a ton more rainscreen securing down the housewrap. I’ll see how well I did tomorrow when it rains again. I think I’ve got it mostly water and wind proof, but I’m feeling it for sure. Then I had the fun experience of trying to walk the goats home as it was getting dark, or them dragging me home, depending on how you look at it. I got everyone up and closed in by 6:30, but I seem to be short one free range chicken. Or I just couldn’t get an accurate head count. It was too dark to really
F2589E94-5103-4F62-815D-6D9D00C3D982.jpeg
see anything, so I’ll hope for the best and know better tomorrow. I didn’t hear any alarms or see anything out of ordinary while I was working on the house, and I have a great vantage point and sound carries well, so I’m really hoping I just miscounted, and no one is hiding and sitting on eggs somewhere strange, or has been taken by something.

Hmmm, you could try the reverse football carry? Pick him up and tuck him under your arm with the beak behind you, then carry on for a bit with the chores with him under your arm. I did this with Mr Marans a couple times and he quit fussing at me. It’s hard to say, I was able to cure Sammy by figuring out why he was being hostile (thought I was trying to steal his ladies) and earning his trust with meal worms.
Yep tried that tonight when I set him down he just tore a strip off me,! Which was when I threw him outside so I could walk without getting tripped up...

I have been checking out caponizing chickens, might ask my vet Monday about it. Have to take Henny Penny in about her mutant toes. The nails are curling around rubbing her toes making them sore...

Today was a bit of a challenge, I got off to a slow start because I got a call from DH’s uncle in the morning And we chatted for a bit about the house, then I took the goats on a good walk around the perimeter of the four nearest fields then back up our road to the corral by the house. It went quite well until two tree piles before the build when we found a Big dead Billy. I’m not sure quite what happened to him and he was about 3-4 days ripe so I certainly wasn’t going to try to figure it out with Jimmy and Arduinna on leash.

Then it was two rolls of tuck tape, lots of staples, and a ton more rainscreen securing down the housewrap. I’ll see how well I did tomorrow when it rains again. I think I’ve got it mostly water and wind proof, but I’m feeling it for sure. Then I had the fun experience of trying to walk the goats home as it was getting dark, or them dragging me home, depending on how you look at it. I got everyone up and closed in by 6:30, but I seem to be short one free range chicken. Or I just couldn’t get an accurate head count. It was too dark to really View attachment 2998337see anything, so I’ll hope for the best and know better tomorrow. I didn’t hear any alarms or see anything out of ordinary while I was working on the house, and I have a great vantage point and sound carries well, so I’m really hoping I just miscounted, and no one is hiding and sitting on eggs somewhere strange, or has been taken by something.
Love the late day long shadows, and everything is so green!

Winner Winner have some Chickens over to share Dinner!

maybe a big salad 🤷‍♂️

8 people entered the "guess who laid the eggs" contest from the other day. I must point out that only 1 Aussie participated. Way to represent @Scrambles83

We had 3 correct guesses out of the 8. Everyone who picked Betty, sorry she has not laid yet. She is obviously interested but not quite ready.

Of all things Phyllis has stopped laying in the Cluckle Hut and is now laying in the main coop.

The 3 layers were, Aurora (her 1st of the year), Sydney, and Phyllis.

Those with the winning guess were @rural mouse @Scrambles83 @RebeccaBoyd

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

@Ribh @LozzyR @Aussie-Chookmum @MaryJanet @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue
Yay!!!!

Love the late day long shadows, and everything is so green!
I don’t think I could survive anything else weather wise… I’m a whomp when it comes to dry air, heat without humidity, and the four letter “S” word that is possible next week. I would whine that it is scheduled to potentially get below freezing, but…

Back
Top Bottom