So I'm still battling a very stubborn Chiquita. I thought maybe today it would be safe to leave the coop door open. Nope, shrieking pancake once again. I shut the door fully intending to open it back up just before dark. Instead I got sidetracked watching a movie then took a shower. I'm sure my neighbors got a kick out of me coming outside with my hair wrapped up in a towel and holding a flashlight herding the chickens into the coop. I had to retrieve 3 of the chicks from the middle of Russ's stall. The first time he he did not bother me. The 2nd time I came in it he decided to remove the towel from my head and tried to play keep away with it. I did get it back, but not before he dropped it and then stepped on it dragging it through a pile of poo.
Sorry, I shouldn't laugh....... But that was pretty funny!

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh....... But that was pretty funny!
It would not have been so bad. Except it was a brand new white one that mom got for Christmas. Let's just say it is not so pretty and white anymore. I sprayed it off with the water hose and have it in a bucket in the bathtub soaking in bleach. Who do I blame if she spots it before I get it washed. Chiquita for being broody or Russ for jerking it off my head.

It would not have been so bad. Except it was a brand new white one that mom got for Christmas. Let's just say it is not so pretty and white anymore. I sprayed it off with the water hose and have it in a bucket in the bathtub soaking in bleach. Who do I blame if she spots it before I get it washed. Chiquita for being broody or Russ for jerking it off my head.
Who is she going to be upset with the least?

I spent a good amount of time outside today just sitting on the back porch with my flock. I was keenly observing Goose's behavior when she was around. She is starting to vocalize more like a adult hen then chick. The boys are starting to show interest but she avoids them. She hopped up beside me a few times on the bottom step and when I went to pet her each time she squatted. If I had to guess, that first egg is around 2 weeks away. Once she accepts the boys I'll start looking for that egg any day.
That’s wonderful! Hope she starts laying soon 😊 make sure to take a photo of that egg😊

How is Momma today?

Today's egg haul.
20230101_163749.jpg
The light brown one on the lower right is small enough to be new(ish) layer. Problem is I've no idea if it's from the pullets or one of the adults first egg post moult. If it's a pullet, it has to be Brahma or sussex (and I'm 90% positive both Nox and Mera have been laying)....

This is the first day of more than 1-2 (if that many) since the deep cold just before Christmas....it also puts my current egg count at approx 7.5 dozen. As another lady I work with is interested in eggs (they hit over $5/dozen here this week commercially), it's a good thing. On the other hand, I have no trouble telling people no eggs available at the moment so it all works.

On rooster behavior today, I saw Horus chase off Cheetah multiple times, but I also saw Cheetah go after Hector. Someone mentioned the speed of Leghorns (Horus has his mother's build). Cheetah left him in the dust......with ease....

So I'm still battling a very stubborn Chiquita. I thought maybe today it would be safe to leave the coop door open. Nope, shrieking pancake once again. I shut the door fully intending to open it back up just before dark. Instead I got sidetracked watching a movie then took a shower. I'm sure my neighbors got a kick out of me coming outside with my hair wrapped up in a towel and holding a flashlight herding the chickens into the coop. I had to retrieve 3 of the chicks from the middle of Russ's stall. The first time he he did not bother me. The 2nd time I came in it he decided to remove the towel from my head and tried to play keep away with it. I did get it back, but not before he dropped it and then stepped on it dragging it through a pile of poo.
:lau :gig

And he was saying to himself ‘that was way too easy’ haha😊

Today's egg haul.View attachment 3364304The light brown one on the lower right is small enough to be new(ish) layer. Problem is I've no idea if it's from the pullets or one of the adults first egg post moult. If it's a pullet, it has to be Brahma or sussex (and I'm 90% positive both Nox and Mera have been laying)....

This is the first day of more than 1-2 (if that many) since the deep cold just before Christmas....it also puts my current egg count at approx 7.5 dozen. As another lady I work with is interested in eggs (they hit over $5/dozen here this week commercially), it's a good thing. On the other hand, I have no trouble telling people no eggs available at the moment so it all works.

On rooster behavior today, I saw Horus chase off Cheetah multiple times, but I also saw Cheetah go after Hector. Someone mentioned the speed of Leghorns (Horus has his mother's build). Cheetah left him in the dust......with ease....
Nice haul!

Back
Top Bottom