Dear Aurora,
I know your scribe is busy on other duties, but maybe you could give this your attention when you get a chance. My hooman explained that the scribe was unavailable because of a thing called ‘werk’. I wasn’t really listening, but she explained it was something to do with being able to keep you all supplied with meal worms, so it sounded like important duties.
Anyway, the topic I want to raise with you is very important to me and I believe also to the chicken world in general.
Before I explain more, let me remind you about myself. I am a small chicken and definitely not the leader of the pack. I am fine with that and I spend most of my time on my two main passions which are cultivating my beard and whiskers, and EATING. I should say I also enjoy flying but that is not really a hobby, it is just who I am (and no, I don’t expect I will grow out of it as RC hopes).
It is about my second passion that I am writing and a dilemma I have concerning BROCCOLI.
My hooman says it is good for me ‘that’ll put hair on your chest feathers on your beard’. In general I trust her menu recommendations - I particularly like the dried up cat food (made from venison she says), and the sunflower seeds she hides under her jacket are simply the best things on earth - but in this case I am not so sure. Bernadette, who is the boss hen here, says not to touch it.
I mean I quite like how it looks and smells. I even think I remember it from childhood. But if Bernie says no, does that mean I can’t even try it?
This is really messing with my head. I mean food is my thing. What am I to do here?
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Yours, perpetually in search of a snack,
Eli

View attachment 3425584
Good morning Eli, as a Hooman I too agree with your Hooman that broccoli will aid in the growth of your beard and whiskers. I have to say though that my overseers absolutely will not even look at broccoli! Not sure why, as I love it. Must be a Hooman thing.

I say try everything once and if you don't like it, so be it! Tell Bernie that it's ok if you like it and she doesn't (also I love that you fly so well!).

That's awesome! Love the size comparison - who laid each one?
The Queen (Light Brahma) lays the really large ones consistently. Not sure about the others other than the white ones. Lucy and Ethel, (the leghorns), lay the white eggs. So one of them laid the tiny white egg.
This is the Queen (she will be 3 years old in May)
C1965C96-2780-4AEE-B246-C0854254C0FC.jpeg

These two are Lucy and Ethel (they are going on 1 year old)
588781AE-61EC-4494-946B-818091FC27B6.jpeg
C7E36F3C-F60E-49B9-BB0A-03EFF3D5F172.jpeg

The Queen (Light Brahma) lays the really large ones consistently. Not sure about the others other than the white ones. Lucy and Ethel, (the leghorns), lay the white eggs. So one of them laid the tiny white egg.
This is the Queen (she will be 3 years old in May)

These two are Lucy and Ethel (they are going on 1 year old)
View attachment 3425643
In the first leghorn photo (?Lucy), that comb is so big compared to her head, it looks like she would have a permanent crick in her neck from carrying that weight around!!!
(I just love it! 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 )

And who wouldn't love a big fluffy Brahma, long live the Queen!👑❤️👑

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. Sorry, I’ve been so absent. Some of you know that the thread has kind of gotten away from me. Keeping up it’s just not really something I can do. However, I do like to pop in when I can and look forward to if and when Sunday synopsis starts up.

I was out with the girls this weekend and got at least one photo of each of them. Today I am home sick with Covid. Unbelievable! I just had it leas than a year ago. So far, this time around is not as bad as the first time, but the headache is pretty intense.

Covid and Just Because TaxView attachment 3425506
View attachment 3425507
View attachment 3425508
View attachment 3425509
View attachment 3425510
View attachment 3425512
View attachment 3425513

I love my birds so much. It’s kind of weird that I’m down to seven and no longer have any “blondes”. I lost Sunshine, Cashew, and Lucky all within the last year or less and they were the only blondes I had.

And in other news, my potential new breeder is just popping eggs into the incubator so I could have chicks at the end of March or early April. I’m hoping for two each of Isabella Leghorns and French Blue Copper Marans.
Your hens are beautiful!
Good luck with your incubating endeavor! I can’t wait to see the little chicks. 🐥🐣

Mine like cooked broccoli and raw kale. I never thought of trying raw broccoli, chopped up. That’s a great idea! Mine absolutely love shredded zucchini, too. And I think that helps support their egg shells.
My birds love raw chopped kale, and collard greens too!
When I cut up veggies for whatever meal I’m creating, I dice up the unsuitable-for-humans parts (leaves, ends, etc.), and throw it out for them. They come running.

Last edited:
In the first leghorn photo (?Lucy), that comb is so big compared to her head, it looks like she would have a permanent crick in her neck from carrying that weight around!!!
(I just love it! 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 )

And who wouldn't love a big fluffy Brahma, long live the Queen!👑❤️👑
I was able to rub Hen-Rietta’s huge floppy comb last night. Nope, I couldn’t get it to flop to the other side.

Back
Top Bottom