Calming day UNTIL…. Out in the yard with my chooks, when Jaffar screamed in Terror. I looked around and then looked up. Big red tail hawk, being molested by a mockingbird. All my birds ran under the porch. I grabbed Dakota and ran inside the house. The hawk stayed in the trees for a while, probably eyeing the littles for a quick meal. :eek:

Calming day UNTIL…. Out in the yard with my chooks, when Jaffar screamed in Terror. I looked around and then looked up. Big red tail hawk, being molested by a mockingbird. All my birds ran under the porch. I grabbed Dakota and ran inside the house. The hawk stayed in the trees for a while, probably eyeing the littles for a quick meal. :eek:
Did the littles get under cover at Jaffar's call too? Good mockingbird, good Jaffar!

What a good Rooster! :jumpy

View attachment 3539022Not a mug... This is Sunny (the brave one) sitting on my lap.
Awwww :)
I am glad others have their brave little chickies sitting on their laps, pooping on their shoulders, pecking you in the back of the head.... 💕💕

I love the colour - what would you call it? it looks like a barred pattern - lovely!

Hey! (straw!) I have a pullet called Petunia! :lau
I hope Petunia stays a Petunia, and isn't a Peter!

Great info I needed that knowledge
Yep me too - dreadful creatures. I am going to put a bucket trap up in the loft, terrible infestation up there. Not sure what I will do once I trap them! It's not like I can kill them...

Guess I will walk them over to the tree plantation next door and release them far far away from any buildings...

They didn't follow the rest of your chooks?

Had that screaming call the other day with the bunny rabbit... and the F18... Mr P needs to relax - not everything is out to eat them!

It means the roos hatch in one color of down, the ladies in another, just like the sex link birds.
It's feather sexable apparently - different than colour sexing.

this is what I found:
Feather Sexing
https://layinghens.hendrix-genetics...ickens-black_chickens-white_chickens-poultry/

Colour Sexing
https://layinghens.hendrix-genetics.com/en/articles/color_sexing-in-day_old_chicks/

I already use feather sexing to 'try' to guess the gender of my wee ones with some success.

I need to read up on this also apparently. Oh and the Azure Blue and the Noirans (which apparently have feathered legs!), are also part of the Hendrix Genetics group).

Back
Top Bottom