Are these numbers right?

Butters, I am hoping, is making a comeback. We'll see if her gizzard is right. She's been eating a lot of crumbles, and eating seeds, pill bugs and worms, and today I saw a small but normal looking poop. Until today there's been thin weedy poops, and day before yesterday I found an undigested sunflower seed along with bits of seed in her weedy poop (saw her poop it so I know it was hers).
View attachment 3608446
But I also saw another regular poop, possibly by Popcorn, in the poop tray, that also had sunflower bits in it.

Butters at the little bowl of crumbles
View attachment 3608414

With Popcorn (left) on the treadle
View attachment 3608421

She's not standing right when resting, but I'm not counting her days yet, because her desire to eat has just skyrocketed in the last two days. There were no weedy poops today in the poop tray from last night. I did tube feed her 35ml once yesterday morning, but won't today, see how she is tomorrow. Possibly she is beginning to grow more feathers? I see a couple loose ones hanging off her now and then. Hazel's behind her in this picture.
View attachment 3608442

The chicks are still alive and doing well, getting epaulette feathers now. Moved them into a pop-up puppy pen I bought. No pics yet. They have excursions back up into the tote every day, dust bathing and jumping around thereabouts too. Today they got a clump of sod. I have these from a few days ago, did I post them already?
View attachment 3608454
View attachment 3608456

I saw you corrected your plan re the feed ratios, I think that's better than 50/50. I don't remember, what is your protein supplement?
So glad to hear that Butters continues to improve. Stuff is getting through and she has appetite - both excellent signs!
🥰

Are these numbers right?

Butters, I am hoping, is making a comeback. We'll see if her gizzard is right. She's been eating a lot of crumbles, and eating seeds, pill bugs and worms, and today I saw a small but normal looking poop. Until today there's been thin weedy poops, and day before yesterday I found an undigested sunflower seed along with bits of seed in her weedy poop (saw her poop it so I know it was hers).
View attachment 3608446
But I also saw another regular poop, possibly by Popcorn, in the poop tray, that also had sunflower bits in it.

Butters at the little bowl of crumbles
View attachment 3608414

With Popcorn (left) on the treadle
View attachment 3608421

She's not standing right when resting, but I'm not counting her days yet, because her desire to eat has just skyrocketed in the last two days. There were no weedy poops today in the poop tray from last night. I did tube feed her 35ml once yesterday morning, but won't today, see how she is tomorrow. Possibly she is beginning to grow more feathers? I see a couple loose ones hanging off her now and then. Hazel's behind her in this picture.
View attachment 3608442

The chicks are still alive and doing well, getting epaulette feathers now. Moved them into a pop-up puppy pen I bought. No pics yet. They have excursions back up into the tote every day, dust bathing and jumping around thereabouts too. Today they got a clump of sod. I have these from a few days ago, did I post them already?
View attachment 3608454
View attachment 3608456

I saw you corrected your plan re the feed ratios, I think that's better than 50/50. I don't remember, what is your protein supplement?
Soooo glad Butters is doing better ❤️ And can’t wait to see Photos of your babies 🥰

Re: feed - it will be easier for my mum to feed the chooks half and half, layer / grower, when I am working. No fussing around.

The protein supplement is 35% and calcium is 7% so I am only throwing in a handful or so in the morning. I won’t purchase it again once finished.

Last edited:
So glad to hear that Butters continues to improve. Stuff is getting through and she has appetite - both excellent signs!
🥰
True. I hadn't thought of just getting through as a good sign, you're right! I am worried about how much she's able to grind and metabolise. The starter should go through easy if the path is clear.

I was prepping the run for attaching additional space late today, and they all were hanging out going in and out, watching and inspecting. Butters was eating at the little bowl or the treadle feeder every few minutes, just an amazing change from before. She really stocked up for the night!

True. I hadn't thought of just getting through as a good sign, you're right! I am worried about how much she's able to grind and metabolise. The starter should go through easy if the path is clear.

I was prepping the run for attaching additional space late today, and they all were hanging out going in and out, watching and inspecting. Butters was eating at the little bowl or the treadle feeder every few minutes, just an amazing change from before. She really stocked up for the night!
Yeah - I wouldn't worry if the odd seed goes through undigested, particularly if she is eating chicken feed as well.
So happy!

Soooo glad Butters is doing better ❤️ And can’t wait to see Photos of your babies 🥰

Re: feed - it will be easier for my mum to feed the chooks half and half, layer / grower, when I am working. No fussing around.

The protein supplement is 35% and calcium is 7% so I am only throwing in a handful or so in the morning. I won’t purchase it again once finished.
Just an idea I'll throw out there - you can mix the proper ratio ahead of time for her, & store in a metal feed container. This is what I've done for DH to feed our cat. Big Boy is switching from one special feed to another, and we need to keep the calories per serving the same. Portioned out by weight but all mixed up, he just needs to serve a scoop for each meal.

Pony Sunday - I think this is a pony? Love the mane and tail! I think he was standing there trying to let the wind keep the flies off. Then he went for a roll. There's a chicken there too!
PXL_20230807_150135060.jpg

PXL_20230807_150138927.jpg

PXL_20230807_150217739.jpg

PXL_20230807_150220236.jpg

PXL_20230807_150131285.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230807_150130299.jpg
    PXL_20230807_150130299.jpg
    944.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom