@lightm thinking of you, and honey. And your hubby that I feel is almost a part of the BYC gang now.
Yesterday (9/4) Honey did not eat anything, but drank lots of water. She was sitting/resting and looking very miserable.

Today (9/5) Honey is visibly better but still very weak. She is not drinking water anymore but eating a crazy amount of yogurt. She loves her yogurt, so I take it as a really good sign that she is eating something again. She was also excited about her raisin treat whereas yesterday she didn't want it.

About my hubby, he will be devastated if Light dies but he is going to be OK (just normal sad) if Honey or any other chicken passes. He even said, as a way of comforting us, that Honey's departure will make Light's life much better since Honey is directly above Light and is really mean to Light. I guess Honey is hanging on and Light just has to deal with her.

I am afraid Honey is dying from reproductive issues. :-(
I may provide more details tomorrow. For now I just hope that she stays alive tomorrow morning for me to give her more treatment such as Baytril. 😢😭
I am so very sorry to hear this. I hope she passes peacefully. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Just checking in to see what’s what.

Also in news my side of things, mum found Tuff passed away this morning, we knew it was going to happen, she was old for a production breed at 5. My BIL came down and buried her in the paddock by the fence we’re she enjoyed hunting for bugs and such.

Other than that everyone is good, horses too. Mum is managing fine but tells me that horses are way easier to take care of then chickens. I did remind her that they were like 2 yr old kids.

Work is busy, lots of driving between sites; today I found an awesome farmers market which will be my new grocery shopping place, it’s close to my Air BnB.

Ok everyone have a wonderful evening, miss chatting with you all 😟
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know she was a production breed but it can still be hard. :hugs :hugs :hugs

A Bit of a Scare

We have a had a scare with Hattie but the outcome is not real bad. Last Wednesday I noticed her limping. I decided to give it a day and see if she recovered. When she was still limping on Thursday, I decided to bring her in that night and check her out.

So I picked her off the roost Thursdsy night. Her weight was on target, 6.5 lbs, 2.95 kg. There was no bumblefoot and her legs seemed uninjured. Everything moved as they should. A puzzle then.

Her bum was full of poo so we decided to bathe her. Here she is having a good soak.

View attachment 3621955

Once we got her cleaned up, a quick towel dry and some TV, then it was time for her blow dry. While blow drying her we saw this for the first time.

This was located just below her chest. Immediately I am thinking cancer. She been laying around a lot. Now she is limping. I'm thinking that she has a progressive cancer.

Of course the vet is closed, Fri, Sat, and Sun. I can't even try to get an apt until Monday morning. So I emailed a photo of the wound to the vet Sunday night and called first thing this morning. We got an apt for late this afternoon.

Off to the vet her and I went. She was 0.1 kg lighter than Thursday night. I think I can blame that on a full craw Thursday night. Here she is in the vet's arms for her exam. Right after this photo Hattie popped on the vet. A nice wet runny one.
View attachment 3621958

After a full workup the diagnosis is arthritis of all things. The scabs on her belly are from her laying around so much. We need to get her up and moving again. So she is on CBD oil for 2 weeks. If she does not improve then on to metacam she goes.

So much better than I expected. In fact I did not even bring another chicken along because I was worried about that hen having to come home alone.

Interesting Note
Because of bird flu, birds are no longer allowed in the clinic. The vet saw Hattie in the back of my car. I get the need to be safe but the odds of a bird getting loose are pretty high. Aurora would have very tough to keep under control in a situation like that.
WOW!! nasty looking owie!!!

so glad you gave her a bath and found it

Do any of you add AVC to your chickens water? and if you do what noticeable difference's do you notice?
I have read 1 to 2 Tlb per gallon?? is this what you do?
I don't use it. Well not for the chickens. I make a fall salad with ACV and cranberries in the dressing.

Back
Top Bottom