Here is Darcy as tax!
PXL_20230908_065755895.jpg

And my disabled diamond dove Jerry, he broke his wing as a fledgling and his wing bones literally healed separately and one of his wings doesn't open and stays closed. He eats the same food as the quail sense it's literally a mix of dove and quail food that's used by a pigeon breeder I know! He also can't grow any feathers around the area and he is missing two toes. I think I will bring him inside this winter and he is so tame! I love him and I'm not sure if I should cull him. He is doing fine but what do you guys think?
PXL_20230908_080047618.jpg

PXL_20230908_080112927.jpg
PXL_20230908_080028776.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230908_065724255.jpg
    PXL_20230908_065724255.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 0
This sounds terrible and I haven’t the emotional fiber right now to read it. What can we do? Write to the federal agricultural committee members if one is our representative?
What we can do is to amplify the backyard chicken movement; encourage others to have chickens, show them what amazing creatures chickens are, and go to townhall meetings to change laws so that city people can have hens and even roosters.

But meanwhile, I will remember the names of this horrid research team. Michael Persia at VA tech is the professor, doctoral student Alyssa Lyons is the lead author. "OH, I got my PhD by torturing chickens and teaching egg farms how to do it on a massive scale."

"The research was published recently in the Journal of Applied Poultry Research and is supported by the John Lee Pratt Animal Nutrition Senior Research Scholar Program."

Sounds like an awful journal and program. The name always sounds good, but it's really an animal malnutrition program.

Ya I hear ya. I saw Curly off the nest earlier, not sure about Henny, but Whiskers is stubborn and won’t leave the nest. I am betting it’s the darn cockerels- when I get back home they are all going - they are causing too much stress with my mum and the hens.
No, No, No!!

You need to keep Mr. P and at least 1 more. Poor Mr. P can't handle that many ladies on his own. He will be run ragged just like us worn out Hoomans (but because we have too many broodies/babies)

No, No, No!!

You need to keep Mr. P and at least 1 more. Poor Mr. P can't handle that many ladies on his own. He will be run ragged just like us worn out Hoomans (but because we have too many broodies/babies)
:goodpost: @Ponypoor running Mr P ragged will actually SHORTEN his life. He needs at least 1 helper. He really should have at least 2, but that could wait a year (spend out the juniors a bit).

Here is Darcy as tax!
View attachment 3630657
And my disabled diamond dove Jerry, he broke his wing as a fledgling and his wing bones literally healed separately and one of his wings doesn't open and stays closed. He eats the same food as the quail sense it's literally a mix of dove and quail food that's used by a pigeon breeder I know! He also can't grow any feathers around the area and he is missing two toes. I think I will bring him inside this winter and he is so tame! I love him and I'm not sure if I should cull him. He is doing fine but what do you guys think?
View attachment 3630658
View attachment 3630659View attachment 3630660
I would not cull him. Give him the best life you can.

Back
Top Bottom