I had to have some much needed chicken/tv therapy time this afternoon. Branch quickly let me know he was unavailable. The hens are picking back up laying and he has rooster duties to attend to nest building for all the girls. That is ok little man, I now have a back up therapy chicken.
Poppet.
We start out on the towel in front of me and select one of my Investigation Discovery shows.
DSCN2820.JPG

Show selected I have about 2 minutes to get comfy and move the towel to my lap. Poppet is a lap chicken.
DSCN2823.JPG
DSCN2824.JPG
DSCN2825.JPG

She quickly snuggles in.
DSCN2829.JPG
DSCN2831.JPG

In the end she is perched on my hand and purring away.
DSCN2832.JPG
DSCN2835.JPG

She is not at Branch level for tv time yet. I can get 2 hours on the towel without him pooping. Poppet can now make it 1 full 44 minute episode without pooping. I will take it.

Some Sad News Regarding Phyllis (at least Phyllis thinks so)

As we have been celebrating some significant Hatchdays around these parts, it should be apparent to everyone that the tribe is starting to age a little. Most times in hens you really can't tell as they may slow down a little but they look like they have always. Except for poor Phyllis.

Phyllis is turning grey.

You can see it on the tips of her feathers. Check out these close ups from today's fluffy bun photos and look closely.

View attachment 3744143View attachment 3744144

I have noticed before that the feathers on her head would whiten as the year went on but I really couldn't prove it. There are so many and they move about so much. But these tips turning white are undeniable.

What is disturbing Phyllis the most is that there is no real feather dye for chickens. Sadly for her, she is going to have to wear the proof of her age proudly.

For those who don't know Phyllis will be 5 in October so she's about 4.5 years old right now.
Phyllis is too graceful and confident for hair colour anyway.

CSI Chicken Palace

I have analyzed security camera footage, psychologically profiled the chief suspects, and mapped the locations and sizes of the eggy footprints.

Piglet and Pooh returned to the scene of the crime several times today. Suspicious!

There is a gap in the camera footage at the crucial moment (which turned out to be last night after lockup but before bed). Suspicious.

There are eggy footprints of at least three different individuals and they extend up to high shelves and door handles.

Please note. Egg on the floor is a serious slipping hazard!

My conclusion is that Bernie was helping Pooh find a good nest site for her first egg. In doing so she managed to push open the door between the nest box and the servant quarters.

She looked around but came out quite fast and went to bed.

In the morning Pooh went in and invited her friends Tassels and Calypso to look around. All three came out and Pooh settled down to consider laying an egg.

Piglet the meany, not content with bullying Sylvie, went after Poo and chased her into the servant quarters. Kerfuffle ensued and the door got slammed shut trapping them both in there.

Somewhere along the way Pooh did lay her first egg. It is a similar size to Piglet’s but a more brilliant blue (ink supplies are full).

Congratulations Pooh on your first egg. I realize the mayhem wasn’t really your fault.
IMG_4918.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4922.jpeg
IMG_4830.jpeg

I had to have some much needed chicken/tv therapy time this afternoon. Branch quickly let me know he was unavailable. The hens are picking back up laying and he has rooster duties to attend to nest building for all the girls. That is ok little man, I now have a back up therapy chicken.
Poppet.
We start out on the towel in front of me and select one of my Investigation Discovery shows.
View attachment 3744270
Show selected I have about 2 minutes to get comfy and move the towel to my lap. Poppet is a lap chicken.
View attachment 3744272View attachment 3744273View attachment 3744275
She quickly snuggles in.
View attachment 3744276View attachment 3744277
In the end she is perched on my hand and purring away.
View attachment 3744278View attachment 3744279
She is not at Branch level for tv time yet. I can get 2 hours on the towel without him pooping. Poppet can now make it 1 full 44 minute episode without pooping. I will take it.
Awww such a sweetie pie 💕😊

CSI Chicken Palace

I have analyzed security camera footage, psychologically profiled the chief suspects, and mapped the locations and sizes of the eggy footprints.

Piglet and Pooh returned to the scene of the crime several times today. Suspicious!

There is a gap in the camera footage at the crucial moment (which turned out to be last night after lockup but before bed). Suspicious.

There are eggy footprints of at least three different individuals and they extend up to high shelves and door handles.

My conclusion is that Bernie was helping Pooh find a good nest site for her first egg. In doing so she managed to push open the door between the nest box and the servant quarters.

In the morning Pooh went in and invited her friends Tassels and Calypso to look around. All three came out and Pooh settled down to consider laying an egg.

Piglet the meany, not content with bullying Sylvie, went after Poo and chased her into the servant quarters. Kerfuffle ensued and the door got slammed shut trapping them both in there.

Somewhere along the way Pooh did lay her first egg. It is a similar size to Piglet’s but a more brilliant blue (ink supplies are full).

Congratulations Pooh on your first egg. I realize the mayhem wasn’t really your fault.
View attachment 3744289View attachment 3744290View attachment 3744291View attachment 3744292
I didn’t know if it should be a heart for the first egg or a laugh for the mayhem 😊

What a hoot! Brats! But glad eggs where the only things damaged.

CSI Chicken Palace

View attachment 3744289View attachment 3744290View attachment 3744291View attachment 3744292
Congratulations on a lovely first egg 😊💕

Some Sad News Regarding Phyllis (at least Phyllis thinks so)

As we have been celebrating some significant Hatchdays around these parts, it should be apparent to everyone that the tribe is starting to age a little. Most times in hens you really can't tell as they may slow down a little but they look like they have always. Except for poor Phyllis.

Phyllis is turning grey.

You can see it on the tips of her feathers. Check out these close ups from today's fluffy bun photos and look closely.

View attachment 3744143View attachment 3744144

I have noticed before that the feathers on her head would whiten as the year went on but I really couldn't prove it. There are so many and they move about so much. But these tips turning white are undeniable.

What is disturbing Phyllis the most is that there is no real feather dye for chickens. Sadly for her, she is going to have to wear the proof of her age proudly.

For those who don't know Phyllis will be 5 in October so she's about 4.5 years old right now.
That means BLU would have been 5 years old in October too. :old :(

Back
Top Bottom