I use clippers that you would use on a cats nails. Work good for me.

I am going to need something with more power to do Mr P’s spurs though - and they need doimg soon - he is starting to have them interfering with his gate. 😳😳😳

Maybe the horses hood nippers might work if I had someone to help me - gosh poor roosters in the wild how would they manage?
I wrap Goliath (& his father before him) in a towel and sit him in my lap. I like it best when my daughter is here to help. I've gotten bit a couple of times. 🤣

Oh dear. Not all is harmony at the Chicken Palace.
Calypso and Tassels have developed a thing against Piglet. Here is one of them with a bit of Piglet’s crest she pulled out.
This is making Piglet even more of a loner - she already roosts on her own but now she forages away from the rest of the flock.
I worry this makes her even more vulnerable - as well as being tiny and white, she is now solo.
🙁

View attachment 3772845
Phyllis went through this. It's very tough to watch. Be her friend. You can help her through this. :hugs :hugs

I almost killed Gumbo today, and not on purpose.
So, I let him free range for a while today and just left the door to his coop open and I told myself that I would put him away and close it. I never did.

It’s 9:00 PM and I just remember that I left him out. I run and tell Mom that we have to get headlamps and make sure he’s alive and lock him up for the night, because I don’t want to clean up a pile of feathers tomorrow. So we go out there and he is roosting on a pole that’s resting on the ground… he was alive. I closed his door, grabbed the eggs that I neglected to grab earlier, and realized that Pastel was in his time out coop because the girls escaped earlier and I didn’t need him attacking me when I was chasing them.

I open the door to his coop and he comes down the ladder very slowly and I grab him and put him in with his ladies.

And that’s the story of how I almost killed the rooster that I want dead/gone. 😅 That’s the first time I’ve ever done something like that.

Agathae said "I'm going broody" !!!
View attachment 3772918
A broody legbar eh? Very interesting. 🤔

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

Phyllis went through this. It's very tough to watch. Be her friend. You can help her through this. :hugs :hugs
Well she got the last laugh today because she got special treats that nobody else got because they chased her and she hid in the inside of the Chicken Palace and I happened to wander by with some cheese.
:love

aybe the horses hood nippers might work if I had someone to help me - gosh poor roosters in the wild how would they manage?

Be careful with the horse nippers. The spur can be somewhat brittle with that type of a strong tool - it can split the spur (which is a hard coating with thick quick/core in the center.
Oh that is helpful - I feel like I could have clipped the nail in a hot second whereas the filing was drawing out the whole process.
Ha, ha, ha...I see what you did there...file 'drawn out', 🤭

Seriously, though, it only takes 4-5 'strokes' back and forth to give it a halfway decent 'file'. AND it doesn't really make noise, which is probably what scares your cat (plus will make the chickens nervous, too - a strange noise and the vibrations of the machine. Honestly, manually filing is much easier!!! Hold the toe and gently swipe!!

Back
Top Bottom