Pony Sunday

Truly has been working at trimming up the other side of those Weeping Willows, they are looking very even now. She can barely reach the ends now, she will make sure to keep them trimmed for me.

I needed the branches trimmed up so I can get in there to spray for weeds. If it ever stops raining! I need at least 72 hrs of no rain, to dry up the grass, then to spray it when NO wind, then 24hrs to let the herbicide dry.

The weeds are so bad in my paddocks they are overdue for spraying.

0F374B4E-10B2-4C24-9912-85D28BAE0236.png

Good morning all. Have a very nice Sunday. ☕🍩
You too! I am off to clean stalls. I need to throw down hay, move some shaving to the barn before the rain starts again.

And I need to prune my peach, plum and pear and cherry trees. I need to move my Paw Paw tree also, and an Oak. Work gets in the way of my work here!!! 😵‍💫

No sunbathing for the chooks today unfortunately
6DFF6142-8C80-43DA-AFC7-629B0E2DD648.jpeg

Hey, does anyone know if toads are ok for chooks to eat? Mine killed a baby toad yesterday ran around playing ‘can’t catch me’ with it till I took it away.

Ok well now it’s pelting down rain, so much for moving the shavings bales. Better go clean stalls.

You too! I am off to clean stalls. I need to throw down hay, move some shaving to the barn before the rain starts again.

And I need to prune my peach, plum and pear and cherry trees. I need to move my Paw Paw tree also, and an Oak. Work gets in the way of my work here!!! 😵‍💫

View attachment 3821667

Hey, does anyone know if toads are ok for chooks to eat? Mine killed a baby toad yesterday ran around playing ‘can’t catch me’ with it till I took it away.

Ok well now it’s pelting down rain, so much for moving the shavings bales. Better go clean stalls.
Mine have eaten toads. The cats are not fans of them but like to torment them.
I love toads so I rescue when I can.

:th
I am so glad I didn’t know anything about this broody stuff when I first got chickens. It might have put me off.
Sylvie is in jail. She is NOT a model prisoner. Tassels was very well behaved apart from trying to convince me she was no longer broody so I would let her out and she could go back to her nest.
Sylvie is looking for every way to escape. I overheard her talking to Pooh about smuggling in contraband. And she shouts constantly.
Nonetheless I may try releasing her on parole at bed time to see if she will roost.
If she tries to go back to the nest, she may have a fight on her hands because Piglet has decided to commit.
Piglet is a whole new ballgame for me. I tried to reach under her to gather eggs this morning and nearly lost a finger. She is small ….. but she is fierce!

Broody tax: Sylvie in jail
IMG_6393.jpeg

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
IMG_6395.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 3821667

Depends on the kind of toad. I suspect they could eat anyone who isn’t poisonous. I grew up with the poisonous ones around- and worked at a vet clinic where we constantly saw dogs coming in having seizures and heart issues because of them.

I am so glad I didn’t know anything about this broody stuff when I first got chickens. It might have put me off.
Sylvie is in jail. She is NOT a model prisoner. Tassels was very well behaved apart from trying to convince me she was no longer broody so I would let her out and she could go back to her nest.
Sylvie is looking for every way to escape. I overheard her talking to Pooh about smuggling in contraband. And she shouts constantly.
Nonetheless I may try releasing her on parole at bed time to see if she will roost.
If she tries to go back to the nest, she may have a fight in her hands because Piglet has decided to commit.
Piglet is a whole new ballgame for me. I tried to reach under her to gather eggs this morning and nearly lost a finger. She is small ….. but she is fierce!

View attachment 3821684

View attachment 3821700
Two at a time! You’re going to need more cages. I found that the cage behavior got better as they got less broody- the panic at first was them needing to get back on the nest. Hopefully Sylvie stops stressing everyone out!

If she tries to go back to the nest, she may have a fight in her hands because Piglet has decided to commit.

View attachment 3821684

View attachment 3821700
An extra determined lady may force you to get a couple of chicks just to get her out of it.

View attachment 3821667

Mine kill and eat toads and lizards often. So far, no chicken casualties.

Back
Top Bottom