Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
I think the toes are darkening up a bit.
So she probably has "dark" skin (not light), just not the fibromelanosis.

If I recall correctly, fibromelanosis is caused by a dominant gene. So both parents could show it but carry the gene for non-fibro, which lets them produce some chicks like this one.
The feet have turned green, no dark skin else where on the body so far.

I always thought, Fibro X Fibro = All Fibro. Actually the first silkie chick I've ever hatched like this.

I always thought, Fibro X Fibro = All Fibro. Actually the first silkie chick I've ever hatched like this.
Have you gotten Silkie-mixes that show fibro? If yes, then it shows fibro is dominant gene.

And if fibro is dominant, then a chicken that shows fibro can sometimes carry not-fibro.

When two such chickens are bred together, about 1/4 of their chicks would show not-fibro.

But if you breed a small number of chicks you might not see that; and if you breed one to a Silkie with two copies of fibro, then all chicks would show fibro anyway.

It would work a lot like rose comb (where two chickens with rose comb can produce a single comb chick, if they both carry the not-rose gene.)

Have you gotten Silkie-mixes that show fibro? If yes, then it shows fibro is dominant gene.

And if fibro is dominant, then a chicken that shows fibro can sometimes carry not-fibro.

When two such chickens are bred together, about 1/4 of their chicks would show not-fibro.

But if you breed a small number of chicks you might not see that; and if you breed one to a Silkie with two copies of fibro, then all chicks would show fibro anyway.

It would work a lot like rose comb (where two chickens with rose comb can produce a single comb chick, if they both carry the not-rose gene.)
My only Fibro mix rooster. Bigfoot, he's Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X Silkie.
20201111_151051.jpg
Mother of the chick is pure Silkie, she's in the background.

She's also his mother.

My only Fibro mix rooster. Bigfoot, he's Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X Silkie. View attachment 3468642Mother of the chick is pure Silkie, she's in the background.

She's also his mother.
I think that Silkie mother must have the genes for both fibro and not-fibro, and the oddball chick got the not-fibro from the mother and also from its father.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom