Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
I am finally hatching F1’s for my giant silkie line. I may take the Brahma out but I haven’t decided. My Brahmas just aren’t that big but the Cochin line I’m using is massive. Have you needed to artificially inseminate? At the moment I have a silkie rooster with Cochin hens but I might look into artificial insemination to breed the Cochin rooster to my silkie hens. I’m gonna update my thread soon and I need to remember to take pics. Any ETA on when you plan to start breeding again?
No, I just natural breed LF Silkie X Brahma.

Hoping to start breeding again this spring, or early summer.

What order are you gonna do this year?
I was gonna do more F1s, but of different crosses. This would be next step in keeping size.
Next is a couple more F1 Silkie/Brahma crosses.

Will also be doing F1 Silkie/Malay crosses.

Butchered a big Silkie Cockerel today. Found double preening glands on him, first time I've seen that feature on Chinese Silkies. Though I don't think I've actually paid attention to theirs. He had long muscular legs like an oriental Gamefowl. I would've kept him, but he's been ripping up my hens feathers. He was actually supposed to go with someone in Ohio to a new home, & used for someone else's Giant Silkie project. But they never did, time ran out for waiting.

Last edited:
Here's what 007's feathers look when wet.
Sorry, not the best picture.
Different gradients of gray when wet.
20240330_125732.jpg
When dry it looks exactly like Khaki, which is a grayish color with a slight light brown tone.
He's got the same gradient, darkest to lightest throughout his body plumage, but some parts show it better.

No, that's not a shadow casted over the feathers.
20240330_135433.jpg
20240330_135424.jpg

Planning on hatching a couple eggs from my Black Birchen Olive Egger hen, since he's bred her quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom