Goat in heat or bred?

MahonChicks511

Hatching
Apr 27, 2015

Iam aware you can't tell if a goat is pregnant my looking at the genitals, but I am just looking for opions on what everyone's thoughts are on my doe. Do you think she is in heat? Or bred? She is in with a young buckling about 4.5 months old.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm a goat newbie myself, but I'm going out on a limb and saying she's bred. Not going by the picture, going by the time of year and the fact she's with a buck. Unless you think there some reason he would not have bred her? It's pretty much what they do.........

Your buck is a little young to be breeding, though he probably is starting to show an interest in it. Most bucks become active at about 5-8 months of age. Right now is breeding season for most goats, so she might get bred in the next 2 months, or she might not. Can't tell much by your photo. When does get closer to giving birth stuff enlarges and softens. Yours looks like a regular goat. When she's in heat she will usually be quite vocal and sometimes they have a discharge.

While four and a half months may be a little young in most cases, I have had bucklings become fertile at astonishingly young ages. Doelings too.

There was a misprint, the buck is actually 5.5 months, not that necessarily makes a big difference... but to the first response I was thinking recently bred not due at any time :) thank you for the opinions! I'll keep an eye out and see if she come into heat here in a few weeks!

There was a misprint, the buck is actually 5.5 months, not that necessarily makes a big difference... but to the first response I was thinking recently bred not due at any time
smile.png
thank you for the opinions! I'll keep an eye out and see if she come into heat here in a few weeks!
Just for the record, 5.5 months makes a big difference. Many times I started using young bucks for light service at five months. They settled does at that age, too.

I'm going to say that your doe is bred or is going to get bred very soon. :) Like the others have said, it's rut season for most bucks and this is the time that they just like to breed.

Iam aware you can't tell if a goat is pregnant my looking at the genitals, but I am just looking for opions on what everyone's thoughts are on my doe. Do you think she is in heat? Or bred? She is in with a young buckling about 4.5 months old.
Just curious how this ended haha was she bred? My doe has very similar thing going on back there lol

My guess is that she is bred. That is my guess. Bear in mind that goats do not read the books. You see a discharge like that after the doe has accepted service.

Back
Top Bottom