Goose house?

My husband's grandfather has a huge orchard (apples, pears, cherries) in Wenatchee and we got the apple bins for free...but I see them all of the time for $10 each. They are 4' x 4' and work perfectly.

As for the "no climb" fence...it's horse fence but I wouldn't use it for my horses! It was the best alternative I had to chicken wire. We're lucky in that we don't have predator issues thanks to our dogs...if I didn't have the dogs, I'd probably put electric around the bottom and make the pens into something a little more sturdy and possibly roofed over with "real" gates.

When you put electric be sure to get for small animals like dogs. A quick shock keeps ours in the fence but when the babies have run into it, the fence does not kill them.

Don't go too small with geese.
They need a good amount of over head space
and you'll want plenty of floor space since the top in the pecking
order birds won't allow others in if its too small.
Think housing big enough for a few goats and you'll be on the right track.
A small shed that you can walk into would be idea.

Last edited:
I don't know if anybody is reading this thread anymore, it's so old. I am adopting two Toulouse ganders that are about 1.5 yrs old. I building them a goose house out of what was our pump house, so it's plenty big. The only thing I don't know is how big to make the door for these giant birds. Can ANYBODY tell me???? Please?

I don't know if anybody is reading this thread anymore, it's so old. I am adopting two Toulouse ganders that are about 1.5 yrs old. I building them a goose house out of what was our pump house, so it's plenty big. The only thing I don't know is how big to make the door for these giant birds. Can ANYBODY tell me???? Please?
does your pump house already have a door? if so why not use it. our goose house has a regular size door and then a pop door for my chickens that use it for laying. the pop door is actually a kitchen cabinet front the frame and door that my dh brought home from work one day and laid around here for yrs. when we converted the building for the geese we used the cabinet door frame for the pop door. it is large enough for the geese to use too. they just bend over a smidge to get in.

Last edited:

I couldn't find a better picture of our 'goose compartment' but you can see it on the right side of the picture. My husband made it out of pallets that he brought home from work, 2 solid pallets to create a good floor, with 5 regular pallets around the sides to keep larger predators out but allow for plenty of air circulation. The inside is partially 'finished' with scrap plywood to provide better shelter from the wind and two more pallets make up the roof (with heavy-duty painter's plastic to keep the wet off. It works well enough for our two Buffs and most importantly, it was very cheap to build.

does your pump house already have a door? if so why not use it. our goose house has a regular size door and then a pop door for my chickens that use it for laying. the pop door is actually a kitchen cabinet front the frame and door that my dh brought home from work one day and laid around here for yrs. when we converted the building for the geese we used the cabinet door frame for the pop door. it is large enough for the geese to use too. they just bend over a smidge to get in.
I will be building a new people door for it, but I also want to make an automatic door for the geese that will open up in the morning and let them out bright and early. I moved up to East Texas a few years ago to help my elderly parents and sometimes I have to help my mom in the mornings. That makes me late letting the ducks (and soon the geese) out. Just today we installed the automatic duck door I bought on the duck house. I found a plan on BYC to make an automatic door using one of those car antennas that go up and down. The guy who designed it has been nice enough to email back and forth with me about it. We need to figure out what size door works for the geese, but can't make it too big or the antenna won't be able to lift it. So, they might have to duck a little bit. I can put up a sign like they have in England that says "Mind your head"!

I will be building a new people door for it, but I also want to make an automatic door for the geese that will open up in the morning and let them out bright and early. I moved up to East Texas a few years ago to help my elderly parents and sometimes I have to help my mom in the mornings. That makes me late letting the ducks (and soon the geese) out. Just today we installed the automatic duck door I bought on the duck house. I found a plan on BYC to make an automatic door using one of those car antennas that go up and down. The guy who designed it has been nice enough to email back and forth with me about it. We need to figure out what size door works for the geese, but can't make it too big or the antenna won't be able to lift it. So, they might have to duck a little bit. I can put up a sign like they have in England that says "Mind your head"!
mine have to duck and the don't seem to mind.well that came out funny.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom