HELP! SILKIE CHICK WITH PROBABLE WRY NECK! WHAT DO I DO? NEED HELP

Ayleeex

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
Does anyone know how to treat a chick with wry neck? We’ve got a silkie chick (probably a rooster) with wry neck. He is a about a week and a half old. He’s in the brooder with 7 other chicks do you have any advice on what I can do? What are the risks? Can he die from it? (I do not cull my chickens, unless they are in a great amount of pain)

TIA

He will die from wry neck if he doesn't get enough food. But it's very treatable. Give one capsule of vitamin E 400iu directly into the beak or break open and drizzle over some cooked finely minced egg. Do this each day until the chick is behaving normally. Meanwhile you may need to help it eat.

Pierce vitamin e capsules and squeeze out the liquid and mix with a raw egg. Feed the mixture with a syringe.

I am treating my Silkie chick with wry neck with Selenium that I crushed into a powder (i’m not exactly sure of the amount of selenium I’m using, but it is less than an eighth of a teaspoon, like a pinch) and 400iu of vitamin E. I am giving it to her once a day. Mix with a little water and use a dropper. My Silkie is greatly improved after just a few doses.

I have read that it is common in Silkies. I currently have an all Silkie flock and I plan on amending their diet permanently somehow, I haven’t decided with what yet, but I know that I want to be sure and supplement them with vitamin E and selenium.

Back
Top Bottom