Hi. I am new to chickens. I got two buff colored “Americana” from the feed store which I’ve come to understand are Easter eggers. Since they are bot

Hi. I am new to hens. I got two “Americanas” from the feed store which I’ve come to understand are Easter Eggers. They are both a blonde color similar to one another. One just started laying and a beautiful blue egg! My question is, since they are the same color
will i also get blue eggs from her? Or is there some hope for an olive or green tint? I’m really hoping to add a green hue to my basket as I currently have two full breed French black copper marans and a Welsummer to add the dark browns My second EE should start laying within the next few weeks and I will know for sure but I’ve been curious all along as to of their very similar feathers and coming from the same place means the eggs will be the same color as each other Thank you ! View attachment 2548124
Welcome to BYC! You won’t know exactly what color they will lay until they lay it. Also that is an absolutely stunning blue. I am the throughly jealous.

Welcome to BYC! You won’t know exactly what color they will lay until they lay it. Also that is an absolutely stunning blue. I am the throughly jealous.
I think I’m realizing how lucky I am to get this blue! Are you “blue” with envy? Lol. To be fair these are her first eggs ever and I understand the ink gets lighter as the season goes on. I’m super jealous of the greens and olives I see.

I think I’m realizing how lucky I am to get this blue! Are you “blue” with envy? Lol. To be fair these are her first eggs ever and I understand the ink gets lighter as the season goes on. I’m super jealous of the greens and olives I see.
Yep, I’ve been trying so hard to get colored eggs. It is harder than I thought. I originally went to a breeder, bought 4 blue wheaten Ameraucanas and an Olive Egger, all were male. I went to a different breeder and bought 5 EEs, they all laid brown eggs. I then went to a different person all were male. It‘s a real struggle. This year I decided to stop going the breeder route and bought 3 lavender and 3 white Ameraucanas from Cackle hatchery. Hopefully things go to plan. :fl

Yep, I’ve been trying so hard to get colored eggs. It is harder than I thought. I originally went to a breeder, bought 4 blue wheaten Ameraucanas and an Olive Egger, all were male. I went to a different breeder and bought 5 EEs, they all laid brown eggs. I then went to a different person all were male. It‘s a real struggle. This year I decided to stop going the breeder route and bought 3 lavender and 3 white Ameraucanas from Cackle hatchery. Hopefully things go to plan. :fl
Arg! I have breeders in the area I was interested in but every single person sells straight run only so I decided not to. I got 7 from the local farm store who were sexed and they are all hens. I found a couple ladies who do grow outs and I’ve gotten five more hens that way. It’s more expensive yes but then I don’t get any roosters. I just don’t want to deal with dealing with them.

Arg! I have breeders in the area I was interested in but every single person sells straight run only so I decided not to. I got 7 from the local farm store who were sexed and they are all hens. I found a couple ladies who do grow outs and I’ve gotten five more hens that way. It’s more expensive yes but then I don’t get any roosters. I just don’t want to deal with dealing with them.
Oh also I can’t order from online hatcheries because the our mail goes through Sacramento CA post office and they are so dysfunctional. People were posting pics of boxes of dead chicks :/. They can’t seem to get it together there and they leave the boxes for days undelivered and it’s hot here !!

Oh my my my I love that blue egg. I have NEVER gotten a blue egg from a hatchery EE/Ameraucana/Americana and between me and my cousins, not a single blue out of at least 20 over the years. the only time I ever got blue eggs was when another cousin was breeding Ameraucanas for 4H and I got 2 for my starting flock when I was in the 5th grade.

A note though, whenever you get to a store and they say they’re selling Ameraucanas (or Americana... because murica), they are always EEs. The only hatchery that I know of that ships true Ameraucanas to small stores who order from them is Meyers. And they are $$$$. It’s best to find a breeder or order hatching eggs and hope your luck is good. Each hatchery has their own method to make EEs.

but the fun thing about EEs are that they’re a mystery. Their feathers? Mystery. Eggs? Mystery. I usually get a Green egg, but have gotten one who laid a cute pink tan. The greens always varied between a near white pastel green, to a nice mint/almost pastel teal, soft sage... etc etc. I just got two olive eggers from Meyers today and am hoping for 2 different olive shades.

before I lost my two EE girls Omaha and Tikki, I was getting 3 types. Mint, yellowish sage, and a little darker mint. One was a light brown tan hen with a blue head and great feathers mixed through on her wings and tail feather. The other was a bright orangish brown and black. My remaining girl is cream, black, and some brown. I used to have the twins, they just looked alike and were black and brown. if they came from the same parents they may both get blue eggs, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that and just look forward to what her surprise is for you

Attachments

• 1A51CE69-3A9E-4D55-BCF4-ECCE3300615A.jpeg
    1A51CE69-3A9E-4D55-BCF4-ECCE3300615A.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 3
  • A9AAD5EB-4643-4905-AF4B-172A47755024.jpeg
    A9AAD5EB-4643-4905-AF4B-172A47755024.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 3
My black Ameraucana from Cackle Hatchery all laid very blue eggs, and they were all super friendly. My lavender Ameraucana's from Cackle laid consistent pretty green eggs. I would call them a bright olive color. All of the EE's I've had have all laid mint green eggs.

Sure! The one with lighter feathers is the one I’m waiting to see what color her eggs are. The one with the barred rock is my pretty blue layer
the chicken in the third photo that is grey-ish/light brown, I think will lay blue eggs since mines look exactly the same and she laid blue eggs! I'm not sure though haha :)

Back
Top Bottom