HOUDAN AND POLISH CROSSES

braden rowland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Bundaberg QLD Australia
HI EVERYONE

I have been a breeder of the Polish breed for the last couple of years.

Now i have just purchased a Young Houdan Rooster, i was wondering what the out come would be if i put him over a couple of my Polish Hens.

Would the offspring have the 5 toes like the Houdan ( Father ) or would they come with 4 toes like the Polish mother ?

Also i am trying to get the mottle colour in a Polish chicken.

Would it be better to cross the Houdan Rooster ( Which is Mottle )over a W/C Black hen or a self white hen so the mottle gene is dominant ?

Also if anyone has any Photos of this Cross i would be extremely interested in seeing them.

Thanks Braden
caf.gif

HI EVERYONE

Now i have just purchased a Young Houdan Rooster, i was wondering what the out come would be if i put him over a couple of my Polish Hens.

Would the offspring have the 5 toes like the Houdan ( Father ) or would they come with 4 toes like the Polish mother ?

Would it be better to cross the Houdan Rooster ( Which is Mottle )over a W/C Black hen or a self white hen so the mottle gene is dominant ?

Also if anyone has any Photos of this Cross i would be extremely interested in seeing them.

Thanks Braden
caf.gif
Maybe someone will come along that has better knowledge than me. My think so's are that some of the offspring will get 5 toes and some will get 4 toes, weed out the five toed ones, and breed them back to each other and you should start getting some mottled ones. It doesn't matter which way you cross Houdan over Polish or vice versa. I think you should use the WC Black. The white would take too long to breed out if you can breed it out at all.

HI EVERYONE

Thanks Braden
caf.gif

Polydactyly is normally a dominant trait and if the houdan carries two dominant genes then all the offspring will be 5 toed. There are other genes that can be found in birds with five toes but we will assume they are not a part of the birds genetic makeup.

I agree with Draye, if the houdan carries only one dominant polydactyly gene.

Mottling is not a dominant trait. Mottled (on a black ground color) x black = all black offspring.

I agree with Draye- Houdan x black Pol = all (F1) black with polydactyly

F1 x F1 = some four toed and mottled offspring ( 1 in 16 are the odds)

Tim

Yes it is. OP seems to dropped off.
I have a Polish x Crevecouer cross rooster. He's mostly blach with a lot of gold throughout his crest head and body.

We have a mottled houdan x white polish cross...it produced a white funky looking dude. I will get my dw to upload pics. He has 4 toes. Hes mean as a rattlesnake and flies like a hummingbird

We have a mottled houdan x white polish cross...it produced a white funky looking dude. I will get my dw to upload pics. He has 4 toes. Hes mean as a rattlesnake and flies like a hummingbird

Good luck in calming him down. My Crevie/Polish dude tried one time to jump me when I got through with him he now runs when I enter the run. Funny thing us I never even touched him. Kicked over his head on purpose and it scared the doody out of him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom