Housing/Coops for Geese?

cheesum

Hatching
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Hey guys! I've been looking around, I haven't been able to find many "goose houses" or things like the sort. I'd love it if you guys could help me out, by giving me some images of yours/links to some I can buy. And one last thing, could I have my future goose in a chicken coop (eglu go or the eglu classic is what I had in mind.) ? There wouldn't be chickens in there ofc.

Those eglu houses are way too small for a goose. It wouldn't be able to stand up inside.

Grown geese don't seek or need housing the way chickens do. They're pretty much weather proof (with the exception of extreme conditions), and they're active during the night. So a goose house is mainly for protection against predators - and for nest building.

Also, a goose run should be much larger than the ones shown with the eglu houses. Geese primarily eat grass and other weeds, and one goose could weed down those tiny run areas in less than half an hour.

If you're planning on getting only one goose, please reconsider. Geese (and especially goslings) get lonely and scared when they're by themselves - even for a few minutes.

This may sound odd coming from someone who keeps only one goose. But my goose didn't spend even one minute on her own until she was about six months old. She slept in my bed every night until she started laying and she decided she wanted to sleep in her goose house at night. To this day, she hasn't been alone during the day for more than 8-10 hours accumulated. There's always one of us out there with her (we are two people sharing her).

This is the goose house I built for my geese - I had two back then, and they were four weeks old at the time:

A house this size will hold two grown geese for nighttime protection, but they shouldn't be kept there during the day - they'll get insanely bored. My geese free range in my yard, which is about 4,000 sq. ft. The opening faces north, and the hedge behind the house provides shade during the day.

This is the house my current goose sleeps in:

In the picture it's decorated for her 1st birthday. She built her nest behind the window area, and she loves being able to watch out through the window while she's on her nest. The ramp is also the door, and we close it only at night. This house is built on a pallet out of scrap wood, and the window used to be a cupboard door. The roof is some leftover metal roofing.

The opening is facing west, which creates some problems with rain and sun. I've recently bought small overhang (2' by 3'), that I'm going to assemble over the door.

Those eglu houses are way too small for a goose. It wouldn't be able to stand up inside.

Grown geese don't seek or need housing the way chickens do. They're pretty much weather proof (with the exception of extreme conditions), and they're active during the night. So a goose house is mainly for protection against predators - and for nest building.

Also, a goose run should be much larger than the ones shown with the eglu houses. Geese primarily eat grass and other weeds, and one goose could weed down those tiny run areas in less than half an hour.

If you're planning on getting only one goose, please reconsider. Geese (and especially goslings) get lonely and scared when they're by themselves - even for a few minutes.

This may sound odd coming from someone who keeps only one goose. But my goose didn't spend even one minute on her own until she was about six months old. She slept in my bed every night until she started laying and she decided she wanted to sleep in her goose house at night. To this day, she hasn't been alone during the day for more than 8-10 hours accumulated. There's always one of us out there with her (we are two people sharing her).

This is the goose house I built for my geese - I had two back then, and they were four weeks old at the time:

A house this size will hold two grown geese for nighttime protection, but they shouldn't be kept there during the day - they'll get insanely bored. My geese free range in my yard, which is about 4,000 sq. ft. The opening faces north, and the hedge behind the house provides shade during the day.

This is the house my current goose sleeps in:

In the picture it's decorated for her 1st birthday. She built her nest behind the window area, and she loves being able to watch out through the window while she's on her nest. The ramp is also the door, and we close it only at night. This house is built on a pallet out of scrap wood, and the window used to be a cupboard door. The roof is some leftover metal roofing.

The opening is facing west, which creates some problems with rain and sun. I've recently bought small overhang (2' by 3'), that I'm going to assemble over the door.
Yeah, I figured it would be too small, but I wanted to make sure. And woah- your coop looks so nice! Thank you so much for the pictures and advice.

also- you live in Denmark? Did you watch Eurovision last night? OMG I was so happy Conchita won!!

I have a goose (I named Ryan Gosling) that was rescued on July 4th, was terrified of the fireworks. We couldn't find it's home and since I've been raising chickens for years I decided to keep it. I see all your lovely houses but unfortunately I am neither crafty enough or physically capable of making my own house. I have been looking at those XXL resin dog houses. (easy enough to put together and light enough for me to move it if I have to. I don't plan on getting any other geese at this time. (I am retired and disabled so I am home all day every day). Not sure what breed (although possibly african gray or chinese brown) or sex of my little friend. Do you all think this type of house would be adequate for this goose? I already have a chainlink fenced area 10x10x6 but would like to have some type of house just incase it is so inclined to use it. Thank you!

Can he stand up inside? another thing if your chain link is open on top the worry of predators climbing in to eat Ryan. Especially if the house your interested doesn't have a door that closes.

I have a goose (I named Ryan Gosling) that was rescued on July 4th, was terrified of the fireworks. We couldn't find it's home and since I've been raising chickens for years I decided to keep it. I see all your lovely houses but unfortunately I am neither crafty enough or physically capable of making my own house. I have been looking at those XXL resin dog houses. (easy enough to put together and light enough for me to move it if I have to. I don't plan on getting any other geese at this time. (I am retired and disabled so I am home all day every day). Not sure what breed (although possibly african gray or chinese brown) or sex of my little friend. Do you all think this type of house would be adequate for this goose? I already have a chainlink fenced area 10x10x6 but would like to have some type of house just incase it is so inclined to use it. Thank you!

Have you looked on Craigslist/FaceBook to see if anyone in your area is selling custom coops? There's usually a couple of handy people who like making them, and they would probably deliver & set it up for you, too.

If not: I'd vouch for the XXL plastic dog crates (the kind they use to fly dogs on airplanes). They come with a door and plenty of ventilation. But I would suggest getting a small roll of hardware cloth and attaching it to the doors and windows, just so a raccoon can't get his tiny paws through the holes.

Can he stand up inside? another thing if your chain link is open on top the worry of predators climbing in to eat Ryan. Especially if the house your interested doesn't have a door that closes.
We have hawks, so I covered the top. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom