How many duck eggs did you get today?

Hormone implants? tell me more!
You got it!

My Welshie, Marmalade, started laying internally. I caught it pretty early because I noticed she wasn't walking quite as briskly as her sisters and saw that her abdomen was distended. I took her to the vet who drained a bunch of egg material from her. Fortunately, there was no sign of infection.

The vet said that she needed antibiotics to keep infection from setting in and either surgery to spay her, the hormone implants, or , if I didn't want to pursue the other options, euthanasia. Euthanasia was off the table if there were viable options available. The surgery is super risky. So I opted for the implants. She required 2 because the implants are designed for house birds.

The vet injected one in each of Marmalade's "hips." Took about 5 minutes. The implants take about 2 weeks to fully stop the laying. I brought Marmalade in one more time to drain any remaining fluid. And she's been great ever since! She will need implants every 6 months. It's about $500 a pop, but I'm ok with that, especially because Marmalade made a 100% recovery after such a simple procedure.

Edited to add Marmalade:
20210923_204955.jpg

You got it!

My Welshie, Marmalade, started laying internally. I caught it pretty early because I noticed she wasn't walking quite as briskly as her sisters and saw that her abdomen was distended. I took her to the vet who drained a bunch of egg material from her. Fortunately, there was no sign of infection.

The vet said that she needed antibiotics to keep infection from setting in and either surgery to spay her, the hormone implants, or , if I didn't want to pursue the other options, euthanasia. Euthanasia was off the table if there were viable options available. The surgery is super risky. So I opted for the implants. She required 2 because the implants are designed for house birds.

The vet injected one in each of Marmalade's "hips." Took about 5 minutes. The implants take about 2 weeks to fully stop the laying. I brought Marmalade in one more time to drain any remaining fluid. And she's been great ever since! She will need implants every 6 months. It's about $500 a pop, but I'm ok with that, especially because Marmalade made a 100% recovery after such a simple procedure.

Edited to add Marmalade:
View attachment 3306541
Thanks for sharing her story! That is truly amazing. It's so fascinating to have the technology that is available now.
Marmalade is a beauty btw šŸ˜

I was sure I had at least one femaleā€¦ apparently it was a drake šŸ˜­šŸ˜† :oops: no eggs :p

(I donā€™t really like eggs that much so itā€™s not much of a bad thing lol. I also donā€™t have to deal with the extra calcium or it getting egg bound)
We thought we had 2 females, now we are pretty sure 1 of them is a drake šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

I do have a few ducks laying. I have not confirmed if it is the ducklings from this year or my 2 year olds I do know I thought my runners (light blue eggs) were done for the season, but a few weeks ago I started getting runner eggs again. I have some from my other breeds laying as well.
We are new to the duck world. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with location, as well as breed? I am also assuming from the posts that they normally don't lay in the winter? I have a lot to learn!

The first 18 months of my Runner and Buffs lives from 4.5 months on until 18 months they were egg laying machines and all the way through winter. Up until 2 yrs ago when they stopped laying over winter. They are 6.5 yrs old now. Now they stop in Oct and start back in March and April.

Back
Top Bottom