How to attach Hardware cloth?

We stappled the wire down to hold it in place...then cut a piece of wood to cover over the edge of the wire and fastened it down with screws.

I work at a hardware store, so materials and cost aren't a huge issue. Covering the edges with wood seems like a good idea, decorative too.

HEY!
welcome-byc.gif
from the SW burbs!

I used washers and screws just because I like the way it looks. Very sturdy and clean.

Make sure you introduce yourself over at the "where are you" MN thread.

IMG_3009.jpg

This is my first ever post and I do not suggest using a staple gun to attach any barrier. I lost my 11 chicks at 4 weeks of age due to a raccoon that simply pulled the staples out that were holding a combination of chicken wire and hardware cloth to a wood frame (stapled to the exterior). It was the chicken wire that was pulled loose, but when I went to remove all the chicken wire (to totally start over), the hardware cloth also pulled away. I thought I had really secured everything and never dreamed those staples would pull out so easily. It is very disheartening but I do want to try again. This time I am not using any chicken wire, only hardware cloth. I really like the idea of using screws and washers. Great idea. I am reading all I can so any future chickens will be safe. I learn so much here!
smile.png

I use a heavy duty bull nose nails/staples they are super strong and easy to nail, plus there is no need for additional materials.

AL

OK - here's a little curve ball for all of you. I have 6' chain link fencing that will provide the 'backbone' of my fenced in chicken yard.

However, I want to add 1/2" hardware cloth to the lower part of the chain link for added protection.

Same 2 questions but different 'base' material: (1) what do I use to fasten the hardware cloth to the chain link with, and (2) inside or outside?

Thanks!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom