How to attach Hardware cloth?

Glad to read this thread, I currently have hardware cloth inside using only staples. It's been bothering me ever since I put it up, wondering if it is secure enough. I mentioned it to DH and he brought home a bag of those screws with washers attached for securing tin roofing. Now I just need to remember where he put them, I'm going to get on it tomorrow! Better late than sorry.

For the chain link fence, what about using a straining wire bolted to the posts? You could weave the wire in and out of the hardware cloth and chain link. All you would need is a bolt longer than the diameter of your posts with an eye for the wire on one end and a nut on the other end. Once you have it all threaded through, just tighten the nut to add tension. Just a thought, not sure if it would really work, but would only take one panel to figure out if it will work.

PackMom asked:
"OK - here's a little curve ball for all of you. I have 6' chain link fencing that will provide the 'backbone' of my fenced in chicken yard. However, I want to add 1/2" hardware cloth to the lower part of the chain link for added protection. Same 2 questions but different 'base' material: (1) what do I use to fasten the hardware cloth to the chain link with, and (2) inside or outside?"

Try using plasic zip ties.
cool.png

Last edited:
The black zip ties are UV protected. I'm sure eventually they may wear out, but it's a thought. I used a combination on my run. Fender washers, staples and zip ties.

For a chain link fence, unless cost is an issue, what about framing about a 2' tall fence on the outside of the chain link . Wouldn't have to be big lumber, something like a 1x4 with a 1x4 on the inside as well and bolt them together like a sandwich over the links and then attach the wire to the frame.

I'd use UV resistant nylon zip ties to attatch the hardware cloth to the chain link. After it was in place I would secure it with 14 gauge wire tightened down with pliers.

I use ferrule pliers and clips to attach the wire. It's much sturdier than the thin wire that comes with the hardware cloth and easier to use. Works great for attaching to chain link too.

We staple the wire to the wood and then screw wood strips over.

To attach chicken wire to the chain link, you can use the smaller hog rings, or use lengths of wire and basically sew it on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom