How to attach Hardware cloth?

I would secure the hardware cloth on the outside. If you think of a predator, like a racoon or a dog, pushing against it from the outside he would be pusing in the same direction as the fastener, which means he would less likely loosen the fastener.

If the hardware cloth was attached to the inside then the predator would be pushing against the staples and could push them out.

I've been building things for quite a while and most of the time my common sense leads me in the right direction... except those times when it doesn't.
big_smile.png

Miss Jenny

And the same idea with the the people door. With a door that swing out, a predator weight against the door will just secure it all the better.

I used and highly recommend staples.......but not the household staple gun ones.....I bought an air compressor from Home Depot and it came with three guns....one of them being a stapler. I bought three quarter inch staples and used them wherever I installed wire cloth screening. Also used 1x2 furring over edges and to help holding them in place. I inspected after installing the screening and if any were questionable, just pop in another staple before installing the wood. Simple, not that expensive and real easy.

Ace

So, a question of a different dimension:
Do most of you apply your Hardware Cloth horizontally or vertically?
My cloth is 36" by 100', my posts are 36" spaced, so I could go either way.
I am planning on outside application with larger staples and covered with trim.

Rainer

So, a question of a different dimension:
Do most of you apply your Hardware Cloth horizontally or vertically?
My cloth is 36" by 100', my posts are 36" spaced, so I could go either way.
I am planning on outside application with larger staples and covered with trim.

Rainer

Vertical is more appealing to the eye as you won't see the seems.

Plus if you can attach the edges of the HC to the posts rather than try to wire a horizontal seam together, it's a no brainer.

I ahve seen somewhere /someone use pennies and screws (instead of washers) to secure hardwire from the outside.....

Back
Top Bottom