How to attach Hardware cloth?

Hmmm - been mulling this one myself.  So, if I were going the route of 2 pieces of wood around the hardware cloth, could I use regular staples to fasten the mesh to the 1st piece of wood, and then use deck screws THROUGH the mesh and into the other piece of wood? 

I'm thinking that it would work, since the staples (regular, not poultry) are just holding the wire in place until the screws are in - wouldn't the screws help hold the wire in, and the wood on top prevent the staples from being pulled out?  I'd have to make sure and run the hardware cloth a good distance down the wood, prolly half-way down the cedar 2x6 that will be the base, and use a decent length of staple - not the little 1/4" guys.

Am I on the right track here?
sounds good that's what I think we are doing.

Just used some bottle caps for washers, seems to work well.
Used a roofing nail to punch the holes into them, held the cap on the end of a piece of pipe clamped in the vice.

My husband and I used small horse shoe nails.bought a 1 lb box at lows for about $6.00.measure and cut the wire the size you need. It takes two people one at the begining of the piece to nail and the other holding and pulling to tighten.It turned out good for beginners and very effective against predetors.I have 2 coops and this is the smallest of three pens that all join together.This is the one pen almost no one goes in!
idunno.gif
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
We will try it out for now and see how it wireless our chickens will be locked in the coop at night.

I used a pneumatic staple gun and concrete coated staples. It made light work of the job and seems very strong . Here are a few pics of the skirt around the coop and run:

Overlapped in the corners and zip tied together. I also used landscape pins before throwing the dirt back over it.

I am getting ready to build a run to attach to my Purina-style coop. I thought of using the 48" hardware cloth, but I am now wondering if the 36" might be stronger and easier to work with. I was thinking that if I went with the 48" there would be less waste, but I have found the 36" width is generally less expensive and easier to find anyway. Any suggestions? And the 1/2 " will work?

I am getting ready to build a run to attach to my Purina-style coop. I thought of using the 48" hardware cloth, but I am now wondering if the 36" might be stronger and easier to work with. I was thinking that if I went with the 48" there would be less waste, but I have found the 36" width is generally less expensive and easier to find anyway. Any suggestions? And the 1/2 " will work?
36" isn't stronger than 48"....tho it might be easier to work with

Back
Top Bottom