I’m new here!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Chickens sure are fun to keep! I don't suggest a prefab coop, they are too small for even a couple of chickens. If you aren't a builder, a wooden shed converts easily into a coop! You might also stop by our Learning Center for all kinds of great articles on all the aspects of keeping... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Make yourself at home here and ask as many questions as needed. Welcome to our community!

Glad to meet you and welcome to BYC. Best wishes with your bird adventures of all types! Geese are so cool.

Here are some articles to help you:

1. Pickin' the Right Frickin' Chicken

2. Ventilation (important to chicken health), with helpful links to coop designs organized by climate (because what is just right for my New England hens won't work for my brother's Arizona chickens)

3. Farmers Almanac on Building Coops (Includes size requirements!) Allowing plenty of space for chickens is really important because, even as chicks, they will start pecking each other or plucking their own feathers, or become unhealthy if they are overcrowded. Here is a link to Colorado State Extension's publication on space and temperature requirements for chicks as they age.

4. Predator protection for new & existing coops

Back
Top Bottom