I HAVE FRIZZLED SILKIES! now if I just understood the different types

Sonoran ( and Pamper P.) I think you forgot Fizzle which is (what I call) when you cross a silkie/ frizzled cochin but get a mostly frizzled cochin looking bird with some silkie type feathers that make you wonder

Quote:
Thank you
bow.gif

Quote:
Nope this is still a sizzle. If you got some silkie in there, you gotta represent. Since it is not a "breed" but a "type" there is room for error. Like an EE. Some EEs look suspicously like other breeds, but they are still EEs.

In short: you take the sliced pickles, toss them at the wall, and then see which one sticks
smile.png

Quote:
Nope this is still a sizzle. If you got some silkie in there, you gotta represent. Since it is not a "breed" but a "type" there is room for error. Like an EE. Some EEs look suspicously like other breeds, but they are still EEs.

In short: you take the sliced pickles, toss them at the wall, and then see which one sticks
smile.png

However, sizzles ARE being developed as a breed, not just a type. Standard is same as silkie except for feathering. There is a process to achieve recognition and there are breeders working on it--still quite a ways to go, but it is in progress.

Yes, you will get throwbacks towards the cochin or polish or whatever crosses were used to bring in the frizzling. Depending on where you are in the project, they may be useful or ones who should be culled from the project. (Cull does NOT mean kill--it means removed from breeding.) As I said in another thread, you could breed a cochiny sizzle back towards cochin traits on on toward sizzle traits--depends on your breeding goals.

should you be breeding a curled Sizzle to another curled Sizzle or should you breed to the straight sizzle so you don't end up with the brittle feathers?

also, in the case of my Frilkie (frizzled silkie) boy and my sizzle girl, would there be any problems with their mating?

Many say not to breed frizzle X frizzle. One thing positive for a double dose frizzled bird is that all offspring receive a copy, and have frizzled feathers.

As far as silkie feather X non-silkie feather, that will have no affect on the frizzling, which is a separate gene. Silkie feathering is recessive, so bred to a non-silkied bird you shouldn't get silkie feathering unless the non-silkied bird is carrying a hidden copy. Frizzling cannot hide without the help of the recessive frizzle modifier gene.

From what i learned about the frizzles, is that you should not breed a frizzle bird with another frizzled bird, if you want good qulity in the feathering.

If you do breed 2 frizzles together you can couse breakage among the feathering.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks i fixed it. lol
If you cross a frizzle with a frizzle, you may get a frazzle. But some may end up with very bad feathering, it really depends on if you are doing for SQ or just PQ.

Back
Top Bottom