Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

I would like to have an event up there, and also one in southern IN for our members there too. fingers crossed~
I think for the fests, we stick with general topics like fermenting feed, protein alternatives such as mealworms..
Processing events should be planned separately so there are no "oops".
Good example is a member arriving a little too early and seeing things they don't care to see.

Have to agree with BarbS on all accounts. Love t b on th food committee if you'll have me. August isn't too awful bad for me but our schools start th 3rd week of Aug and our Fair is usually th same week. I don't have young children so the school thing isn't a problem. The fair though...I kinda wanted t show my White Crested Black next year. Anyway my vote would b for 1st or 2nd wk of Aug. and it won't matter t me whether is in north, south or central I'll still hav t drive all day t get there! We just need t b sure there is a nice (cheap) campground nearby for us longhaulers. Lol.

Have to agree with BarbS on all accounts. Love t b on th food committee if you'll have me. August isn't too awful bad for me but our schools start th 3rd week of Aug and our Fair is usually th same week. I don't have young children so the school thing isn't a problem. The fair though...I kinda wanted t show my White Crested Black next year. Anyway my vote would b for 1st or 2nd wk of Aug. and it won't matter t me whether is in north, south or central I'll still hav t drive all day t get there! We just need t b sure there is a nice (cheap) campground nearby for us longhaulers. Lol.

If it is in the south I vote to stay away from the holiday world area as those campgrounds are the opposite of cheap.

Patoka State Park has a really nice campground. Price was same as other state parks. Last time we stayed there our campsite was right on the water. Had a place to tie up your boat and you could fish right from your tent. Its pretty close to Holiday World, Marengo Cave and French Lick.

Good morning all! Just wanted to post what works best for us with regard to 2015 Chicken Fest. Sept. or Oct. work best for us. We have 4 kids in band so June is busy with graduation, band camp and clinics. July is completely filled with band daily, 4-H fair, band competitions and State Fair. We realize, of course, the world doesn't revolve around us. Just putting in our 2 cents. So glad the Fest was such a big hit!

Patoka State Park has a really nice campground. Price was same as other state parks. Last time we stayed there our campsite was right on the water. Had a place to tie up your boat and you could fish right from your tent. Its pretty close to Holiday World, Marengo Cave and French Lick.
I enjoyed camping there too. I love Southern IN very much the hills, valleys and small towns are very welcoming. My youngest son is in Tell City.

Good morning all! Just wanted to post what works best for us with regard to 2015 Chicken Fest. Sept. or Oct. work best for us. We have 4 kids in band so June is busy with graduation, band camp and clinics. July is completely filled with band daily, 4-H fair, band competitions and State Fair. We realize, of course, the world doesn't revolve around us. Just putting in our 2 cents. So glad the Fest was such a big hit!
It was very much so, almost wish it went later! Many are asking about September. June does seem to be very busy also.

We would be ok with earlier or later in the year for Chickenfest, and would probably go no matter where it was (we go all the way up to Wisconsin for my DH's classic car club stuff). I suspect we'd enjoy it more If it were lin September or October, just because we don't like the hot weather. We don't have kids so the school schedule (and 4H at the fairs) are not a factor. We have no plans to show any animals at the fairs either, but it would be nice to have the option to go to them. I agree that we had too much food, although it was really tasty. A food committee would be a great idea.

Haha, I subscribed here right when it was made and never got around to posting my thoughts! :lol: :oops: Here I am!

Oh my gosh, there was SO. MUCH. FOOD! I didn't try a lot of it because I was so full already after my first plate! A food committee is a good idea, or at the very least having someone to say, 'we already have 5 side dishes, bring something else, please?' Or even, instead of everyone bringing their own food, some people can be responsible for plates and forks, or tablecloths, or other such things.

As far as timing, well, I'm going to have to go against the general consensus here. Best time for me would be any time between mid May and mid August. That's usually where my summer break lands. I don't know if I can come to anything earlier or later than that, although it would largely depend on my schedule. But let's just say I don't really want to travel very far in the middle of the semester. Maybe we can look into a northern and southern get-together instead of just having the one?

Honestly, I liked the event overall as it was. No pressure to go play this game or go participate in this now. We were able to chat with whoever wasn't busy, get to know who was there, and just have a nice, relaxing time. If there must be something, we could do something like a 'Secret Santa' thing instead of the door prize drawing, so there isn't as much pressure on one or two people to get enough prizes for it to be worthwhile. Everyone can bring one prize, and then draw a name, and whoever you draw gets the prize you brought or something. Just a thought. :)

we could do something like a 'Secret Santa' thing instead of the door prize drawing, so there isn't as much pressure on one or two people to get enough prizes for it to be worthwhile. Everyone can bring one prize, and then draw a name, and whoever you draw gets the prize you brought or something. Just a thought.
smile.png

I love that idea!

Back
Top Bottom