Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

I agree. I also still think roasting marshmallows and grilling hotdogs are a lot more family oriented or child friendly, even with the fire.

I don't like to brag, but I'm the S'mores champion of the universe.

Okay, I do like to brag.

:-D

I'd be happy to do a demo / instructional seminar on automatic coop doors. It would probably be around 45 min. or so.

Last edited:
What a great idea, a class on converting a chicken door to an auto door. A material list would be neat. Then it could be a hands on lesson and leave with an auto door if everything was prepped and just had to be put together.

It's all sounding like I don't want to wait until 2015!
Hotdogs, fire, smores!
droolin.gif

I love the idea of a campfire and s'mores, and as a newbie I'm also very interested in demos for auto doors, bumblefoot, and anything else you all will teach me (hilarious - my Kindle's spelling corrector changed bumblefoot to Dumbledore - Harry Potter has taken over the world). I guess I'd vote for making our own food over a catered event, unless somebody knows an amazing caterer. I find catered food often less tasty than basic stuff we can do ourselves. I'm happy to have dogs present. Might be an interest in rabbits as well - sounds like many people keep them or are interested in doing so? I'm allergic to them myself, but think they are adorable so don't mind a bit of sneezing.

I love the idea of an annual t-shirt. I've already gotten compliments on this year's.

As far as alcohol goes, I don't really drink much and don't see the need to have alcoholic drinks to have a great time. I'm not being a prude nor really worried about the impression it makes on kids. I'm thinking more of the fact that Chickenfest is something we all drive to.

What a great idea, a class on converting a chicken door to an auto door. A material list would be neat. Then it could be a hands on lesson and leave with an auto door if everything was prepped and just had to be put together.

Sweet! I can get a list together for sure, and post it with prices. I would need money up front from anyone who wants to buy a kit to build out, and far enough in advance to give me time to gather supplies and such. Totally doable. But anyone could also bring their own parts, or just hang out and watch. That would be very cool!

Sweet!  I can get a list together for sure, and post it with prices.  I would need money up front from anyone who wants to buy a kit to build out, and far enough in advance to give me time to gather supplies and such.  Totally doable.  But anyone could also bring their own parts, or just hang out and watch.  That would be very cool!

LOVE this idea!:clap

I love the idea of a campfire and s'mores, and as a newbie I'm also very interested in demos for auto doors, bumblefoot, and anything else you all will teach me (hilarious - my Kindle's spelling corrector changed bumblefoot to Dumbledore - Harry Potter has taken over the world). I guess I'd vote for making our own food over a catered event, unless somebody knows an amazing caterer. I find catered food often less tasty than basic stuff we can do ourselves. I'm happy to have dogs present. Might be an interest in rabbits as well - sounds like many people keep them or are interested in doing so? I'm allergic to them myself, but think they are adorable so don't mind a bit of sneezing.

I love the idea of an annual t-shirt. I've already gotten compliments on this year's.

As far as alcohol goes, I don't really drink much and don't see the need to have alcoholic drinks to have a great time. I'm not being a prude nor really worried about the impression it makes on kids. I'm thinking more of the fact that Chickenfest is something we all drive to.
You make a good point about driving. I think the police in smaller towns like to watch the roads really well around campgrounds on weekends. Most likely they have good reasons too.

Quote:
lau.gif
Muahahahahaha!!!!

Some very good ideas have come up here, I'd like to put my support behind:
Camp fire
Secret Santa
Activities/discussions session: Sometimes on the BYC board, we have differing opinions. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear more about a topic. (FF, homemade automatic doors, routine deworming, vaccinating, goats, accupunture, city code changes, economy of raising and processing meat birds, deomonstrations of bumblefoot treatment, chicken inspection, etc.)
T-Shirts: Yes, please!!
Food committee/paying for food=Catering. I would pay a fee for a catered meal. I'd also be open to a simple meal like baked beans, potato chips and hot dogs, etc. Things that could be cooked over a campfire.

It seems unnecessary to ban responsible alcohol consumption. Its' presence does not preclude a family friendly event. We can request discretion, if that would be of value.
LOVE CAMPFIRES!! We have them at home often, and usually every time we go camping too.
Food ideas are still definitely wide open, and I like easy
big_smile.png
The alcohol ban was more my doing, honestly. We do have some members under 18, so it was out of respect for our younger members. DH and I both do drink on occasion. I think it will depend largely on location in regards to beverages etc. and who "hosts" the event next.

Back
Top Bottom