Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

Another idea for a presentation/discussion is heritage breed preservation. Janets recent post on that made me think of it.

We could talk about what they are, why we need them, and what it takes to preserve them. I could see this being more of a round table or panel discussion than a presentation by one person.

Another idea for a presentation/discussion is heritage breed preservation. Janets recent post on that made me think of it.

We could talk about what they are, why we need them, and what it takes to preserve them. I could see this being more of a round table or panel discussion than a presentation by one person.
I love all the ideas that we're thinking of!

Love this idea, and I totally agree! Its not limited to poultry either. I noted Hereford pig is on that list also, I had a gilt (Roxy) that was so friendly, she would stand on her hind legs on the fence to be petted and loved on. I had taught her to drink lemonade, I could pour it from a cup into her mouth. (really helpful administering meds!!) We had to sell out 2 years ago when dads health started declining and I really regret letting her go.

Quote: X2!

What about asking the Indiana State Poultry Association for a "poultry presentation" as well as an egg collection for the T-12 testing? Especially with the avian influenza threat, might have some good info for us backyard keepers!

What about asking the Indiana State Poultry Association for a "poultry presentation" as well as an egg collection for the T-12 testing? Especially with the avian influenza threat, might have some good info for us backyard keepers!
I have been talking with the ISPA about doing a presentation. They will be sending me some materials to hand out. Hoping to be able to get someone from there to do a presentation. I am also trying to get a veterinarian to do a presentation as well.

Quote: I can check with the vet that bought my goslings, I would love for him to join our thread. He has a good knowledge on poultry pasturing, confinement also and isn't afraid to be "blunt" honest. I enjoy talking with him, he has an old school way about him. He is in a small rural area, so I can't guarantee he can make it, spring is baby time for most livestock.

Once we get a date, I want to get our contributors together with @PeacefulWalls and plan out an agenda to see what we have time for also. I like having different sessions available so if someone already knows fermenting, they can go over to sprouting or just chat and relax. We can do the planning on PM here, FB chat or another method everyone is comfortable with. We had about a 2-3 hour range that everyone just got together and talked about their goals, joked about what didn't work out. We even had thread "lurkers" come out and join in!
The most important issue I will address first is bio security to protect their farm. Thinking we need a shoe dip area for starters. What areas will be OFF LIMIT and only visited with our hosts discretion. I am looking into the best overall dip type chemical now so we have plenty of it for our fest.

The most important issue I will address first is bio security to protect their farm. Thinking we need a shoe dip area for starters. What areas will be OFF LIMIT and only visited with our hosts discretion. I am looking into the best overall dip type chemical now so we have plenty of it for our fest.

This has been on my mind since we learned the fest would be at someone's farm. Not only should it be a concern for all those attending, but for me, I feel particularly concerned knowing that my birds are positive for MG. I do know when they are most likely to be shedding the organism and will be careful about that (and I may decide not to come if they happen to be in one of those 'spells' at the time, honestly). I really want to assure PeacefulWalls, though, that we will be taking every step I can think of to make sure that we don't track MG with us. Here is what I have so far; if anyone has further ideas, I would be glad to hear of them:

Clothing: All of the clothing that mom and I wear to the Chickenfest will be freshly washed, at my insistence. To ensure that our clean clothes don't come into contact with anything contaminated, we will also be washing thoroughly in a shower before dressing in these clean clothes.

Shoes: Our shoes will be scrubbed, especially the tread. My goal is to make sure there isn't a spec of dirt in the treads of our shoes to make sure nothing gets tracked. Of course, we will have to wear them to walk to the car, so a boot wash at the other end is advised. I'm not sure what chemicals would be optimal for it. I do know that MG is sensitive to antibacterial substances and heat, if that helps.

Car: This is the harder part. The plan is to wash it inside and out with antibacterial soap (see above), especially the foot wells. We're also planning on stopping by a car wash on the way, to be safe. Once again, the goal is to make sure no dirt finds its way, especially on the tires, which will obviously be in contact with the ground as we're leaving the property.

Other notes: I don't think I'll be bringing anything along with us, but if I do, it will get a thorough wiping with antibacterial soap. I'll probably bring a pack of antibacterial wipes as well, in case I feel like I've missed something. I have no plans on buying or selling any birds while we're there, so that should be okay. If we do happen to pick up a bird there, though, it will either be kept near the car, or in it with the windows open for air flow; not anywhere near any of the resident livestock.

I think I would strongly advise that others at least try to do some of these things (and any other ideas if suggested) as well, especially the car wash if your birds are anywhere near your car or driveway at any time.

There are just a few of my thoughts on biosecurity, anyway. :)

This has been on my mind since we learned the fest would be at someone's farm. Not only should it be a concern for all those attending, but for me, I feel particularly concerned knowing that my birds are positive for MG. I do know when they are most likely to be shedding the organism and will be careful about that (and I may decide not to come if they happen to be in one of those 'spells' at the time, honestly). I really want to assure PeacefulWalls, though, that we will be taking every step I can think of to make sure that we don't track MG with us. Here is what I have so far; if anyone has further ideas, I would be glad to hear of them:

Clothing: All of the clothing that mom and I wear to the Chickenfest will be freshly washed, at my insistence. To ensure that our clean clothes don't come into contact with anything contaminated, we will also be washing thoroughly in a shower before dressing in these clean clothes.

Shoes: Our shoes will be scrubbed, especially the tread. My goal is to make sure there isn't a spec of dirt in the treads of our shoes to make sure nothing gets tracked. Of course, we will have to wear them to walk to the car, so a boot wash at the other end is advised. I'm not sure what chemicals would be optimal for it. I do know that MG is sensitive to antibacterial substances and heat, if that helps.

Car: This is the harder part. The plan is to wash it inside and out with antibacterial soap (see above), especially the foot wells. We're also planning on stopping by a car wash on the way, to be safe. Once again, the goal is to make sure no dirt finds its way, especially on the tires, which will obviously be in contact with the ground as we're leaving the property.

Other notes: I don't think I'll be bringing anything along with us, but if I do, it will get a thorough wiping with antibacterial soap. I'll probably bring a pack of antibacterial wipes as well, in case I feel like I've missed something. I have no plans on buying or selling any birds while we're there, so that should be okay. If we do happen to pick up a bird there, though, it will either be kept near the car, or in it with the windows open for air flow; not anywhere near any of the resident livestock.

I think I would strongly advise that others at least try to do some of these things (and any other ideas if suggested) as well, especially the car wash if your birds are anywhere near your car or driveway at any time.

There are just a few of my thoughts on biosecurity, anyway.
smile.png
Thanks to you & Janet for already thinking ahead of these things! We are truly looking forward to hosting this year!

Quote: As for the shoes, a cheap easy option might be dollar store flip flops for the day. At least that is what I'm considering. There are also plastic boot covers that might be a good idea to wear just at the fest if someone forgets and wears their barn shoes.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=302&cat_id=145

But yes, I think the showering and laundry plans should apply to just about anyone. Nothing wrong with picking out all of the clothes for the family for that day and washing and drying the day before. Then that morning simply pull fresh from the dryer or clothesline for people who don't use dryers.
And for the car, surely the dirt from your place on the tires would experience large amounts of heat on the longer trip over, killing any germs. Tires get very very hot.

As for the dirt in the car that might have already fallen off of your shoes, I'm thinking there must be a half life to the disease and how long it can live outside of the bird. So prevention might be another approach. let whatever is in the car die out and avoid bringing new by putting a box of the plastic shoes in your car for a couple of weeks before the fest and just never let your shoes track fresh dirt into your car

Back
Top Bottom