Is it worth it..

Is there a reason you like those specific birds? Or just that you can only find that one breeder?
Rosecomb breeders seam to be hard to find especially in colors other than black and blue.

That being said there's one listed in Lyons TX for the brassy back blues on the Rosecomb federation site. I'm going to email them to see if they sell. Only other options I'm gona have is spending years trying to breed them myself. And at this point as it's been tough to sorce anything I want bird wise I'll probably be going that route. Lol.

I don't mind shelling out the money for shipping if they're a quality breeder with good quality stock. Not being NPIP would make me hesitate, since, as JacinLarkwell mentioned, she shouldn't be shipping over state lines without anyway. NPIP certs at least demonstrate the breeder cares enough to allow for the inspections and tests required to remain certified and guarantees your birds will be coming from a clean flock. I rarely buy from non NPIP certified flocks, especially when talking adult birds. When I do though, I'd at least like to have an idea of the environment they're coming from, which of course isn't always possible.

Just my 2 cents. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do order a lot of birds. :oops:

I don't mind shelling out the money for shipping if they're a quality breeder with good quality stock. Not being NPIP would make me hesitate, since, as JacinLarkwell mentioned, she shouldn't be shipping over state lines without anyway. NPIP certs at least demonstrate the breeder cares enough to allow for the inspections and tests required to remain certified and guarantees your birds will be coming from a clean flock. I rarely buy from non NPIP certified flocks, especially when talking adult birds. When I do though, I'd at least like to have an idea of the environment they're coming from, which of course isn't always possible.

Just my 2 cents. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do order a lot of birds. :oops:
Yeah, I don't think I'm going through with it. That NPIP thing scares me a bit. They are in CA or OR so no chance of going there to see. I really think Ill stick with what I've been doing and ordering from places that are NPIP for hatching eggs or ordering chicks from Cackle. If there is a color I want that I can't get in Texas or from someone NPIP I'll just have to put in the work to get it the old fashioned way.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going through with it. That NPIP thing scares me a bit. They are in CA or OR so no chance of going there to see. I really think Ill stick with what I've been doing and ordering from places that are NPIP for hatching eggs or ordering chicks from Cackle. If there is a color I want that I can't get in Texas or from someone NPIP I'll just have to put in the work to get it the old fashioned way.
I like dealing with Cackle. Most of everything I've ordered from them has been decent quality. Lately I've been ordering from smaller scale breeders I've found online. More money, but the bang for your buck in the quality of birds is worth it to me. Until I get my credit card bill anyway...:D

Im doing that to get silver Ameraucana. Thinking of doing that for the silkies my friends daughter wants. There's a breeder right out side San Antonio that has the colors I told her I would alow. Buff and blue or buff and lavender. They look good together.

I've considered it before, despite the ridiculous price for the cardboard box let alone the shipping. I ended up going with "no" because I tried to imagine the worst that could happen.
The worst is a fully aware, mature bird experiencing loud and abrupt sounds and movement for two days (at least), without food, water, or friends... then never getting to see the prison top open because they got too hot and/or too thirsty until it killed them. Like being locked in a car trunk for days.
Realized I couldn't be party to that potential experience.
So instead, we drove from Florida to Louisiana for a rooster. I basically asked myself what on earth we were thinking the whole way there. Told myself the chicken obsession had gone too far. All for some purple sheen to the feathers. But we got our rooster and some chicks while we were there, and I had a nice purple sheen cockerel result from that. But I didn't like his personality any more than his father we went to get, so both are gone now and only some freshly set eggs remain.
I can still feel the incessant bumping down the Louisiana highway when I try to sleep at night.
Every. Single. Car length.
It. Never. Stopped.

Back
Top Bottom