Is it worth it..

When you say NPIP flocks are likey obliged to keep records of their sales, could you elaborate on that?
Participants in the program are likely (I'm assuming) required to report and keep records of intrastate sales regardless of whether or not the state they reside in requires sales come from an NPIP certified flock. Failure to do so would eliminate the traceability aspect of the program, which is sort of the whole point. Whether they do or not is on them. My state requires all sales of poultry and hatching eggs to be sourced from an NPIP certified flock unless being used for immediate slaughter. This of course is not enforced, because it is next to impossible to. Both NPIP farms I have picked birds up from in person have taken my money and handed me a box with no other exchange of information. Whether that's good or bad on their part, I don't know and frankly don't care. The chicks I received have been superior quality and came from a strong, healthy flock that I know tested clean.
How many heritage breeds would be lost without NPIP?

And which ones?
No heritage breeds would be lost without NPIP. A great many heritage breeds would be lost without the breeders who are largely all NPIP certified who everyone, given your way, would avoid at all costs.
And would it be foolish to immediately discard a non-NPIP breeder based on the simple fact they are non-NPIP?
That depends. As in the OP's situation, a non-NPIP certified individual attempting to ship birds from a non-commutable distance away that crosses state lines: A) violates most, if not all state laws regarding NPIP requirements for moving birds across state lines; B) assuming the buyer knows little to nothing about the seller, right off the bat demonstrates at best ignorance of the law, or at worst, disregard--red flags when you have no idea who someone is or what they stand for, particularly when you are about to give said person a substantial sum of money; C) you have no idea what type of environment the birds are coming from and no way to see for yourself. In this situation it would absolutely not be foolish to discard the breeder.

If you have the means to pick up birds from a non-NPIP source and are comfortable with the environment from what you can observe, go for it. Take your birds, stick them in quarantine, and be happy.

For the record, I am not and have no desire to be NPIP certified. However, to discount the work NPIP breeders do because of what amounts to silly superstition is quite unfair.

After reading thru this thread, it seems to me like it’s gone a little off topic from OP’s question, could be wrong though
I agree, but do think OP decided to work on the birds themselves. I do apologize for sort of hijacking your thread @NagemTX. Would be interested to see what you end up with for your Rosecombs. It was an entertaining discussion, nonetheless! :D

So, after researching the woman that has the birds I've come to another option. She's a big time breeder and more credentials(?) are adding up for her. So maybe sometime in the future I'll buy birds from her.

Found all the info on the her farm Random Rosecombs. Show records back to 1990s. When I'm able to foot the bill again for a trio and I can quarantine properly I think I'll get some birds from her.

Last edited:
So, after researching the woman that has the birds I've come to another option. She's a big time breeder and more credentials(?) are adding up for her. So maybe sometime in the future I'll buy birds from her.

Found all the info on the her farm Random Rosecombs. Show records back to 1990s. When I'm able to foot the bill again for a trio and I can quarantine properly I think I'll get some birds from her.
Definitely worth your time and effort. She has some of the finest rosecombs in the country.

Shipping is always a rough call, but I think for bantams to obtain the best of the best it is usually more than worth it. Large Fowl is another story perhaps…just anecdotally last time I looked a box + shipping on a Langshan pair was well over $500…just for box and shipping

Definitely worth your time and effort. She has some of the finest rosecombs in the country.

Shipping is always a rough call, but I think for bantams to obtain the best of the best it is usually more than worth it. Large Fowl is another story perhaps…just anecdotally last time I looked a box + shipping on a Langshan pair was well over $500…just for box and shipping
Yeah, if she has some available next year I'm planning on getting them.

I've considered it before, despite the ridiculous price for the cardboard box let alone the shipping. I ended up going with "no" because I tried to imagine the worst that could happen.
The worst is a fully aware, mature bird experiencing loud and abrupt sounds and movement for two days (at least), without food, water, or friends... then never getting to see the prison top open because they got too hot and/or too thirsty until it killed them. Like being locked in a car trunk for days.
Realized I couldn't be party to that potential experience.
So instead, we drove from Florida to Louisiana for a rooster. I basically asked myself what on earth we were thinking the whole way there. Told myself the chicken obsession had gone too far. All for some purple sheen to the feathers. But we got our rooster and some chicks while we were there, and I had a nice purple sheen cockerel result from that. But I didn't like his personality any more than his father we went to get, so both are gone now and only some freshly set eggs remain.
I can still feel the incessant bumping down the Louisiana highway when I try to sleep at night.
Every. Single. Car length.
It. Never. Stopped.
That would be our lovely louisiana roads..I drove out into the swamps a few weeks ago to get some super ,super nice jubilee orpingtons with great color ..my jubilees are likely from his lines, nippy certified even if he is in the swamps

And I lived it, cant go in his bird area but can view on cameras or fro. Behind a fence..that the birds cant reach..he has a separate broader in the front that he brings chicks that are being sold..so you can pick your chicks but hes already pulled the ones he is keeping, so no exposure..
But I literally drove past where the swamp tours and levees all around..our roads are horrible

Back
Top Bottom