Is Spectracide Triazicide safe

SuperC

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2024
Hi y’all, I need to deal with a sudden tick invasion in my yard and want to use Spectracide Triazicide because I know it works. I found 3 ticks on my clothing yesterday just by walking in the short weed/grassy area in my yard where I’m building my coop & run.

A few notes; my chicks are still in a brooder for another week-ish and NOT going to be in the outdoors where I need to spray. The chickens will NOT be free ranging EVER (too many hawks) and will be living in a 100SF run with a coop so they will have no exposure to the sprayed area. I would not spray the exact area where I’m building the run/coop and would leave a perimeter around it, but I need to spray the rest of the area/yard. It will also be a week+ before they even go outside and so the spray will have a chance to do its thing before they get out there. I’m not using granules, but a pump sprayer. The guidelines on the bottle say safe for kids and pets once it’s dry (deadly for fish and bees, but we don’t have fish and no flowering plants in that area).

I will let the chickens take care of bug control in the run area, but I have a kiddo who is in this grassy area all the time and need to protect her from all the possible issues of tick bites (we have a lot of deer pass thru so heaven knows what Lyme or other issues those ticks may have). It’s also far too wet here in the south to use DE around the coop and we get a few inches of rain a week, but today is dry and no chicks are in the yard yet, so it’s an ideal day to spray but I’m worried. Advise please!

Hi y’all, I need to deal with a sudden tick invasion in my yard and want to use Spectracide Triazicide because I know it works. I found 3 ticks on my clothing yesterday just by walking in the short weed/grassy area in my yard where I’m building my coop & run.

A few notes; my chicks are still in a brooder for another week-ish and NOT going to be in the outdoors where I need to spray. The chickens will NOT be free ranging EVER (too many hawks) and will be living in a 100SF run with a coop so they will have no exposure to the sprayed area. I would not spray the exact area where I’m building the run/coop and would leave a perimeter around it, but I need to spray the rest of the area/yard. It will also be a week+ before they even go outside and so the spray will have a chance to do its thing before they get out there. I’m not using granules, but a pump sprayer. The guidelines on the bottle say safe for kids and pets once it’s dry (deadly for fish and bees, but we don’t have fish and no flowering plants in that area).

I will let the chickens take care of bug control in the run area, but I have a kiddo who is in this grassy area all the time and need to protect her from all the possible issues of tick bites (we have a lot of deer pass thru so heaven knows what Lyme or other issues those ticks may have). It’s also far too wet here in the south to use DE around the coop and we get a few inches of rain a week, but today is dry and no chicks are in the yard yet, so it’s an ideal day to spray but I’m worried. Advise please!
I would rather use natural lavender oil and similar on my childrens clothes, shoes and similar scented natural body lotion to keep the bugs away and, of course, check the kids several times a day for any ticks.

Just reading about the detrimental long lasting effect the above mentioned poison has on the environment gives me the creeps.

I would rather use natural lavender oil and similar on my childrens clothes, shoes and similar scented natural body lotion to keep the bugs away and, of course, check the kids several times a day for any ticks.

Just reading about the detrimental long lasting effect the above mentioned poison has on the environment gives me the creeps.
Sadly, we have some allergies that prevent lavender oil use (as well as a few others), and checking myself and the kid over multiple times a day for ticks isn’t really a long term plan (& all it takes is to miss one to have life long side effects) so I want to kill what’s there, not just have them avoid us. I have a long term plan of calendula flowers and other herbs to help keep the area pest free(ish) but the problem I have right now needs a right now solution. I’m not a fan of poisons and don’t use them pretty much anywhere else for any other reason (we use bug traps/carpenter bee traps, DE ect around the house , but I draw the line at letting ticks hang out. I live on 4 acres and only need to spray a small area that we use (3000sf or so) and we back up to unused woods, so I’m not too worried about the long term environmental impact of a small area of spray compared to all the untouched areas near us.

Sadly, we have some allergies that prevent lavender oil use (as well as a few others), and checking myself and the kid over multiple times a day for ticks isn’t really a long term plan (& all it takes is to miss one to have life long side effects) so I want to kill what’s there, not just have them avoid us. I have a long term plan of calendula flowers and other herbs to help keep the area pest free(ish) but the problem I have right now needs a right now solution. I’m not a fan of poisons and don’t use them pretty much anywhere else for any other reason (we use bug traps/carpenter bee traps, DE ect around the house , but I draw the line at letting ticks hang out. I live on 4 acres and only need to spray a small area that we use (3000sf or so) and we back up to unused woods, so I’m not too worried about the long term environmental impact of a small area of spray compared to all the untouched areas near us.
As I have allergies myself I can relate to the problens even natural remedies can cause.

How about having some guineas clean your space? They are great for tick and bug control, but you would probably need some ear plugs and a mostly deaf neighbourhood to be comfortable around them

Some years back when we still had guineas roaming about in our yard and garden we no longer had issues with ticks and nasty bugs. With the guineas gone the ticks are back, mostly to be found on our dogs.

As I have allergies myself I can relate to the problens even natural remedies can cause.

How about having some guineas clean your space? They are great for tick and bug control, but you would probably need some ear plugs and a mostly deaf neighbourhood to be comfortable around them

Some years back when we still had guineas roaming about in our yard and garden we no longer had issues with ticks and nasty bugs. With the guineas gone the ticks are back, mostly to be found on our dogs.
Well… I love guineas, but we are not supposed to even have chickens so I’m sneaking them in and I bet my Karen of a neighbor will notice Guineas 🤦🏻‍♀️😆🤦🏻‍♀️

Well… I love guineas, but we are not supposed to even have chickens so I’m sneaking them in and I bet my Karen of a neighbor will notice Guineas 🤦🏻‍♀️😆🤦🏻‍♀️
I think I ran out of ideas then. Everyone will notice guineas, there is no way to miss their neverending calls! :lol:

Best to use permethrin on your clothes, and something safer if you insist on spraying the yard, rather than that product you mentioned.
And that daily tick search will be necessary anyway!
Here in Michigan, the MSU Veterinary path lab will test individual ticks for the five commonest diseases they carry, and the two deer ticks I had both only(!) carried Lyme disease, so medication targeting that disease kept me safe.
Keeping the lawn very short helps too, and staying out of the shrubs makes a difference.
What does your county extension recommend?
Nobody loves ticks...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom