Jan. 2022 Hatch-a-long

I got shipped Quail eggs from Texas to Iowa. I bought 18, she sent extras and I had 17 hatch. Which is amazing.
What I've noticed is that anything that goes through the Kansas City, MO post office is trashed. So, I try to get eggs from Minnesota and Texas because they totally bypass that post office and come straight to Des Moines.
Very few eggs east of me will hatch, and I haven't tried west of me...
That's an amazing hatch! 🍀

I'm leery of ordering shipped eggs from FL (not contiguous but nearby) because of shipments I received that looked like they'd been used in a football game. Ordering from continguous states has been hit-or-miss for me, though, too. Even eggs shipped from locations that would be no more than 4 hours' drive time have arrived with significant, sometimes catastrophic, internal damage.

I've experienced more misrouting with shipments, too, which is definitely not helpful.

Out of 16 only 7 made it to lockdown. 🙏 these 7 babies make it.

I’ve been having trouble with humidity this week. No matter what I’ve done I cannot get it stable. For lockdown should I add extra water & let it run high until some evaporates?

Attachments

• 58FB6339-7FEE-40F2-BFE0-1BF7EB53C02E.jpeg
    58FB6339-7FEE-40F2-BFE0-1BF7EB53C02E.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 1
Out of 16 only 7 made it to lockdown. 🙏 these 7 babies make it.

I’ve been having trouble with humidity this week. No matter what I’ve done I cannot get it stable. For lockdown should I add extra water & let it run high until some evaporates?
Sorry only 7 left.🙁
What is your humidity now? How do the air cells look here at lockdown?🙂

Last edited:
Sorry only 7 left.🙁
What is your humidity now? How do the air cells look here at lockdown?🙂
So far it’s maintained 65% today. The air cells looked a little large so I added a little more water this morning. Before it was 30%. Days 1-13 we maintained 35-40% dry it was day 14 where we started having humidity issues. It would drop to 20% I would add a folded damp paper towel & it would spike to 60% I tried folding it smaller & less damp but it still spiked. Adding any to the reservoir spiked it up to 65-70%. I ended up using a bottle cap full & keeping it around 30%-35% until this morning

Last edited:
So far it’s maintained 65% today. The air cells looked a little large so I added a little more water this morning. Before it was 30%. Days 1-13 we maintained 35-40% dry it was day 14 where we started having humidity issues. It would drop to 20% I would add a folded damp paper towel & it would spike to 60% I tried folding it smaller & less damp but it still spiked. Adding any to the reservoir spiked it up to 65-70%. I ended up using a bottle cap full & keeping it around 30%-35% until this morning
So much trouble with your humidity! I don’t recall what brand of incubator you have, the less expensive ones often have this problem.
Sounds like you’re doing what you can. Maintaining 65% at this point would be best. Fingers crossed it goes well!🤞😊

So much trouble with your humidity! I don’t recall what brand of incubator you have, the less expensive ones often have this problem.
Sounds like you’re doing what you can. Maintaining 65% at this point would be best. Fingers crossed it goes well!🤞😊
Thank you. It is. Mini chick brand. It was kind of an emergency purchase. 8 of our chickens were killed by a neighbor’s dog. A couple days after we decided to hatch the eggs we had from them. Being right after Christmas our misc budget was a little low. I’m just hoping we get a few of their offspring. I knew the hatch rate wouldn’t have the best odds. It’s my first hatch, the eggs were a week old, it’s winter, we have naturally high humidity & a less than ideal incubator but it’s worth a try to at least have some of their off spring

I ordered some black copper maran eggs today. How do you all candle them, or do you?
IMG_4793.jpg

Here is a BCM at day 15.. a really bright LED but watch it doesn't get hot and keep it short. I also used a vinyl tape to make the "egg cup". Seems to work. I was able to easily pick out the non starters from the good ones. Though I do wait as long as possible just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom