January 2024 hatch-a-long

Pics

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I did not see a hatch-a-long in January for eggs due after New Years, so I am posting this one.

I have a broody hen, so I gave her 3 eggs to sit on. They are from a different farm. The hen is a Bluebell Egger, named "Bluebell."
20231213_111053.jpg

These will be due the 4th. The temps here are in the mid 30's, and I will raise any chicks she hatches.

Two babies on the green/blue side! One is a black and yellow penguin baby from a speckled green egg, the other a silvery blue…not sure if splash or just light blue 🤷‍♀️ i may have been mistaken about who lays those speckled green eggs tho 🤔 I guess we’ll see in a couple weeks because the 2nd incubator is practically full of them lol I could have sworn that I saw my blue pullet with the dark blue head/neck laying those speckled eggs.

IMG_2529.jpeg
IMG_2527.jpeg

OK sorry for the spam, my kids and I are just really excited about these babies. Each egg is a surprise! Idk how I got a gold/chipmunk baby out of these green eggs - that coop only has BlueCopper Marans and Blue/Red Araucana roos, and the OE girls are cuckoo/barred or blue…perhaps one of my Cream Legbar girls threw a light green/sage egg instead of blue? 🤷‍♀ usually they’re very distinctly light blue, especially when candling. My crele Araucana roo in the next coop also could have gotten into the OE girls, that rascal. Who knows!
IMG_2544.jpeg

Ok, so I held-off on candling until yesterday and again today (day 4). I'm using the built-in candler on the NR360 as my good candling flashlight is at the coop, and it's just not as strong so I'm having trouble with a few, but for the most part here are my numbers:

29 Eggs total: 14 fertile, 9 clear, and 6 questionable.

I'll wait until day 7 to officially pull any clears, but I'm think I'm definitely going to cough up the money to ship hatching eggs via transporter instead of USPS in the future - this is by far the best fertility outcome I've had on shipped eggs, and the air cells were all perfectly intact, which I've never had happen with shipped eggs before.

Back
Top Bottom