January 2024 hatch-a-long

Here are the shells.
20240101_125923.jpg
2 hatch chicks top one is the blue shelled chick.
20240101_125917.jpg

I added a little breed segregator and an anti-slip pad in the incubator. I didn’t have any plastic or metal mesh on hand, so I just used my kids duplo blocks. Hopefully they work out and don’t interfere too much with the hatch. It looks a little crowded tho…
IMG_2494.jpeg

I added a little breed segregator and an anti-slip pad in the incubator. I didn’t have any plastic or metal mesh on hand, so I just used my kids duplo blocks. Hopefully they work out and don’t interfere too much with the hatch. It looks a little crowded tho…
View attachment 3716749

Looks good to me! I have NR360's and have a 3d-printed divider that on big hatches gives the eggs less floor-space-per-egg than this, and it all workd out fine! I'm excited to see the fluffies!

Well, I'm day 16 for my shipped eggs hatch, and I've only had one quitter out of the 14 fertile so far. Everything else has nice movement and pretty equal development, so fingers crossed! Hatch date for those should be the 6/7th. I'm thinking of live-streaming the hatch on my TikTok?

I also just set 7 eggs from my own birds on the 30th, with a hatch date of the 20th. Those could be Splash, Blue, or Blue Cuckoo Silkies (I currently have all my compatable colors mixed together for ease of watering in the cold). If all goes well I should be setting eggs every Friday or Saturday from now until I seperate colors again.

Unfortunately I'm rebuilding after a combination of a fox getting in and a cocci outbreak I didn't catch quickly enough, so I'm hatching EVERYTHING until I build back up - I only have two mature hens at the moment, and probably won't have any new mature girls until around March as my grow-outs are all from September.

Ahhh! We have a day 19 pip and squeaking! I really hope this one hatches tonight before my husband has to leave for Alaska tomorrow morning 🫣 he’s missed every other hatch so far, and was kind of disappointed that day 21 was a day after he leaves. I couldn’t set them before because we had been out of town, otherwise they would have been New Years chicks.

IMG_2504.jpeg

Joining in!
I just got my shipped eggs this morning sitting out getting to room temp. I’m going to put them in tonight after checking on them under the light.
I haven’t hatched anything out since last spring so I’m excited!
I got 12 blue bresse on a holiday deal and couldn’t resist!

My grocery store has local eggs that the last time I set 36, 34 hatched. These are different from what I have been hatching recently.
colo.PNG

3 of these may not be set because of cracks at candling, but the rest look great, they are going to room temp, then will go in incubator tomorrow, I am thinking tomorrow because I hope to have a few from my hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom