January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
It’s update time (6):jumpy

Since the ducklings have been having egg-tooth-problems, I’ve decided the rest of the eggs will all be getting safety holes EARLY as a precaution.

@ElfenLied89 and @Antiocheggers Quack Sparrow was given a safety hole, but they clearly didn’t needed it, because they pipped on their own around 18 hours later :clap They were crazy active throughout the entire lockdown - I can’t count the number of times they rocked and turned away from the front, and I had to turn them back 😂 Around hour 28, they begun to zip, but got stuck half way. They panicked, and somehow got their foot over their head :rolleyes: I finished the zip for them, and they are just gorgeous! Very similar in color to Laffy. No crest, though :confused: :lol: I’ve given them the name Lemon Drop, but I will never forget that they were Quack Sparrow!

Sweet baby right after I got their head out
View attachment 3741561

And after drying off
View attachment 3741562
View attachment 3741563

Lemon size check with Laffy the Behemoth 😂
View attachment 3741564

And Lemon not quite sure how this duck-piling thing works
View attachment 3741565

I currently have Lemon sectioned off in the brooder box with Guava, as I’m concerned with their size they will be squashed. Everyone can still see each other, though.

Also, I was working on another art piece and completely forgot about her drawing :barnie I’ll edit this post or make a new post with it later.

As for our final eggs,

@2ndTink Quacker Jack finally showed me some clear movement :celebrate No more scares today, haha

@Sally PB Lincoln is pretty dark, so I can’t really see what’s going on, but still, they look just fine :)

@Luv Ducks I didn't have to look at Tinker Bell for very long, as I could see her moving about right as I candled :D

@tlcmurphy Egg 31 didn’t show any movement, but they did have a few spots with veining, so I’m sure they’re doing great :)

@GreenJay Lucky Duck is also very dark and not letting me see much, but that’s okay. They still look great :p

5 more eggs, we’re in the final stretch! May they all hatch! The next update will be on Friday, February 9th :jumpy
Awesome Stop Motion GIF by Slanted Studios
so exciting!

So just off the path here. This Momma duck I believe to be a mallard keeps laying her eggs in our oak tree. Which is fine with me but we keep finding them on the ground any suggestions I know we can't move or anything but would like for her to be able to hatch her youngins any suggestions ? It's not Mallard but a Muscovy still need to find a way to keep the eggs from falling out of the nest or is she doing that? It's a Muscovy duck
1000040557.jpg

Last edited:

Since the ducklings have been having egg-tooth-problems, I’ve decided the rest of the eggs will all be getting safety holes EARLY as a precaution.

@ElfenLied89 and @Antiocheggers Quack Sparrow was given a safety hole, but they clearly didn’t needed it, because they pipped on their own around 18 hours later :clap They were crazy active throughout the entire lockdown - I can’t count the number of times they rocked and turned away from the front, and I had to turn them back 😂 Around hour 28, they begun to zip, but got stuck half way. They panicked, and somehow got their foot over their head :rolleyes: I finished the zip for them, and they are just gorgeous! Very similar in color to Laffy. No crest, though :confused: :lol: I’ve given them the name Lemon Drop, but I will never forget that they were Quack Sparrow!

View attachment 3741561

And after drying off
View attachment 3741562
View attachment 3741563

View attachment 3741564

View attachment 3741565

I currently have Lemon sectioned off in the brooder box with Guava, as I’m concerned with their size they will be squashed. Everyone can still see each other, though.

Also, I was working on another art piece and completely forgot about her drawing :barnie I’ll edit this post or make a new post with it later.

As for our final eggs,

@2ndTink Quacker Jack finally showed me some clear movement :celebrate No more scares today, haha

@Sally PB Lincoln is pretty dark, so I can’t really see what’s going on, but still, they look just fine :)

@Luv Ducks I didn't have to look at Tinker Bell for very long, as I could see her moving about right as I candled :D

@tlcmurphy Egg 31 didn’t show any movement, but they did have a few spots with veining, so I’m sure they’re doing great :)

@GreenJay Lucky Duck is also very dark and not letting me see much, but that’s okay. They still look great :p

5 more eggs, we’re in the final stretch! May they all hatch! The next update will be on Friday, February 9th :jumpy
So adorable 😍 💖 💋 😘

So just off the path here. This Momma duck I believe to be a mallard keeps laying her eggs in our oak tree. Which is fine with me but we keep finding them on the ground any suggestions I know we can't move or anything but would like for her to be able to hatch her youngins any suggestions ? 

I think she's a muscovy. I have no ideas when it comes to nest fortification

View attachment 3741561

And after drying off
View attachment 3741562
View attachment 3741563

View attachment 3741564

View attachment 3741565

As for our final eggs,

Thanks so much for the update. I get so excited hearing about Tinker Bell that you would think I was driving over to buy her. Wishful thinking!!!!

So just off the path here. This Momma duck I believe to be a mallard keeps laying her eggs in our oak tree. Which is fine with me but we keep finding them on the ground any suggestions I know we can't move or anything but would like for her to be able to hatch her younginsView attachment 3741627
She is a Muscovy duck.
Wow, how is she getting into the tree? I had no idea they could climb!!
I don’t really know much about Muscovies, but if it were me, I would probably provide her with some hay or other bedding so she can make her nest bigger and sturdier. Also, you could move her and the eggs, but she seems to like her tree :p
The only person I know on here that has Muscovies is @Miss Lydia 😅 perhaps she could answer this better?? Or it may be best to make a new post so others can answer.

She is a Muscovy duck.
Wow, how is she getting into the tree? I had no idea they could climb!!
I don’t really know much about Muscovies, but if it were me, I would probably provide her with some hay or other bedding so she can make her nest bigger and sturdier. Also, you could move her and the eggs, but she seems to like her tree :p
The only person I know on here that has Muscovies is @Miss Lydia 😅 perhaps she could answer this better?? Or it may be best to make a new post so others can answer.
Yes she's a Muskogee I just didn't know what feed to put that on so I put it on this one I appreciate you answering me I'll see if Miss Lydia could make some suggestions. Oh she flies up there we've watched her fly in and then he comes around and he flies in, they take turns. This isn't the first time they've used that little notch in the tree. :idunno

Yes she's a Muskogee I just didn't know what feed to put that on so I put it on this one I appreciate you answering me I'll see if Miss Lydia could make some suggestions. Oh she flies up there we've watched her fly in and then he comes around and he flies in, they take turns. This isn't the first time they've used that little notch in the tree. :idunno
I have Muscovy ducks too but mine do not have access to trees. They are excellent flyers and she probably feels her babies will be safer up there than on the ground. I think if you move the nest to the ground she will be subjected to predators and will abandon it. Usually if you move eggs they will not take to them again. They will often use the same nesting site too. She is a pretty duck. They eat regular duck food and mine love lettuce and cucumbers and zuchinini. Being wild they probably know how to fend for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom