January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
I'm unsure yet if I can eat mine. I raised cows when I was a teenager, named them, petted them , then ate them... but, I never watched them be butchered, then they were aged for 21 days, and came back packaged. No one around here processes small scale chickens so we'd have to do it ourselves, that really changes things for me 😬

Hubby wants "prettier" chickens, so no more black astraulorps or Rhode Island Reds (although we have a very striking bird of each of those breeds) he wants something that is at least still pretty to look at one they stop laying.
Get him a serama roo 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Well, about that... mine is saying we must process the ones not laying, but he's been saying this for a year, and there are no hens in the freezer, sooo.....
We will never cull ours for the freezer for two reasons...

1. We don't want to do it.
2. I've seen what they eat. After watching them pick apart a mouse that a cat left in the yard, I can't even eat eggs for a week much less eat them. Gross!

We will never cull ours for the freezer for two reasons...

1. We don't want to do it.
2. I've seen what they eat. After watching them pick apart a mouse that a cat left in the yard, I can't even eat eggs for a week much less eat them. Gross!
Mine eat snakes. The look on my kid’s face when I reminded her as she was eating the eggs was priceless.
I myself could not taste the snake…

Some more pictures + a video of the Big 5 :wee

IMG_2519.jpeg

Banana and Guava
IMG_2523.jpeg

Peach
IMG_2525.jpeg

The Big 5
IMG_2567.jpeg

The Big 5 + My adult ducks
IMG_2713.jpeg

Guava and Peach
IMG_2739.jpeg

Prickly in the water
IMG_2742.jpeg

Prickly showing off
IMG_2752.jpeg

Peach showing off
IMG_2755.jpeg

Laffy up-close
IMG_2765.jpeg

Prickly and Guava
IMG_2768.jpeg

Peach and her gorgeous grey / blue eyes

Also, a video of the Big 5 having a swim + more reason for @ElfenLied89 to get ducks 🤣 Just imagine - you could have this every day!

I don’t have any new, good pictures of the Little 5 right now, but in the coming weeks as their feathers come in, you’ll be seeing a whole lot more of them! ;)

Some more pictures + a video of the Big 5 :wee

View attachment 3755484
Banana and Guava
View attachment 3755487
Peach
View attachment 3755489
The Big 5
View attachment 3755493
The Big 5 + My adult ducks
View attachment 3755494
Guava and Peach
View attachment 3755495
Prickly in the water
View attachment 3755496
Prickly showing off
View attachment 3755497
Peach showing off
View attachment 3755499
Laffy up-close
View attachment 3755501
Prickly and Guava
View attachment 3755502
Peach and her gorgeous grey / blue eyes

Also, a video of the Big 5 having a swim + more reason for @ElfenLied89 to get ducks 🤣 Just imagine - you could have this every day!

I don’t have any new, good pictures of the Little 5 right now, but in the coming weeks as their feathers come in, you’ll be seeing a whole lot more of them! ;)
Wow, they grew so fast! They look great!

Back
Top Bottom