They're so cute and friendly too! I love to sit and watch mine. Whenever I see them spar my heart drops a bit. I've read females do this too, even this young, but my personal experience says otherwise. All part of the fun of hatching your own.

Question about your quail. Do they ever tame down if handled? Apologies if I asked this before. I think I might have asked before but I don't remember the reply.
We have had one that was ok with being held. She was a little smaller than the rest of her hatch & we worried about her being picked on so we kept her in the brooder with chicken chicks for about a month after her hatch moved out to the quail pen. She was handled daily & even though she’s outside with the rest of the quail now she’s still ok with being held for a min. All of ours are ok with being pet & touched to an extent but even as chicks they aren’t keen on being held.

@UThobbyfarmer this is Belle our little quail. She’s an Italian coturnix

Attachments

• 84F99F7D-9139-4801-98DE-FB593055AF9B.jpeg
    84F99F7D-9139-4801-98DE-FB593055AF9B.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 9
Hi there- we’re a bit late to the hatch party, but these little babies will be making their debut on June 29th if everything goes ok.

Two eggs are barred rock hen X ayam cemani roo. Three eggs are silver partridge silkie hen X ayam cemani roo. Same dad different moms.

It’s a sort of bittersweet backstory on these eggs in that I wasn’t planning on adding to my flock. My roo was supposed to be a hen but surprise! Anyhow, he’s been a super coddled house roo with his own room with keyboards, drums, plush girlfriends and outside time with the ladies. He unfortunately passed away in the 6th of June. So these eggs are from his hen girlfriends. He was a gentleman and only mated with hens that were interested, and only two of my hens were.

I’m really curious to see what these crosses will look like.
Wish us luck on the 29th 🍀

Edit: we have our first pips!
8pm - all but one have pipped.

Edit:: Yay!!! All the chicks have hatched! 2 at 430am and the other 3 between 6-730am.
I’ve moved them into a bigger incubator to stay warm and throughout the next 24hrs before they go into my brooder.

Attachments

• B6AF5970-3267-4BF8-8C97-F4330B1098F5.jpeg
    B6AF5970-3267-4BF8-8C97-F4330B1098F5.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 8
  • E3216888-13CC-4065-8D62-0EE9328724A3.jpeg
    E3216888-13CC-4065-8D62-0EE9328724A3.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B5BA012F-ACA6-4E04-A0BB-9182EEC75A0A.jpeg
    B5BA012F-ACA6-4E04-A0BB-9182EEC75A0A.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 05F9DA22-CA9F-46DF-B062-96E2B3371059.jpeg
    05F9DA22-CA9F-46DF-B062-96E2B3371059.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 65534C23-CE23-48C0-86D5-8231F2EA2210.jpeg
    65534C23-CE23-48C0-86D5-8231F2EA2210.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi there- we’re a bit late to the hatch party, but these little babies will be making their debut on June 29th if everything goes ok.

Two eggs are barred rock hen X ayam cemani roo. Three eggs are silver partridge silkie hen X ayam cemani roo. Same dad different moms.

It’s a sort of bittersweet backstory on these eggs in that I wasn’t planning on adding to my flock. My roo was supposed to be a hen but surprise! Anyhow, he’s been a super coddled house roo with his own room with keyboards, drums, plush girlfriends and outside time with the ladies. He unfortunately passed away in the 6th of June. So these eggs are from his hen girlfriends. He was a gentleman and only mated with hens that were interested, and only two of my hens were.

I’m glad you have pip! Any hatched yet? He sounds like a very special bird to you. Soon you’ll have chicks just as wonderful to carry on his legacy.

Edit:: Yay!!! All the chicks have hatched! 2 at 430am and the other 3 between 6-730am.
I’ve moved them into a bigger incubator to stay warm and throughout the next 24hrs before they go into my brooder.
Congratulations on the babies! I’m sorry for your loss

Pretty Babies! I'm glad you have a little piece of your spoiled houseboy to remember him by. I have a Silkie/New Hampshire Red cross hen who is the sole remaining legacy of Herman the House Rooster. He was a seriously spoiled house-pet, too, at least he was until he discovered Girls! I have four indoor cats, now, so I doubt we'll have any more house-roosters for awhile ...
Herman: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/is-there-a-rooster-in-the-house.74089/

Back
Top Bottom