Killing my chicken humanely with medication

I know this thread is old. But I was looking for the same info and came across the article I'll link below. I could not break my chickens neck, nor let anyone else do something I'm not ok with myself. I am planning to use a high dose (well high for a chicken) of left over specific prescription pills. We have gabapentin and other anxiety pills. Apparently the combo in Tylenol PM is another option. I hope this link helps others who love their chicken ❤️
Link: How to humanely euthanize a pet

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about your bird. Get some Engine Starter Fluid. It is mostly Ether. Towel her up and lay her on her lap. Spray down a rag really really well. Hold it over her beak and nostrils. She will go to sleep in 30 to 45 seconds. Keep holding the rag over her beak and in another minute her heart will stop. Keep holding it on her for another minute or so until you know she is gone.

I don't care for blood and gore either. This is a painless way to go. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
😢 Thank you for this method. I have a lively old hen that was caught by my nephew’s dogs. The wound is very deep along the back tail area. Surprisingly she tolerated one human oral dose of norco (hydrocodone-acetaminophen for a 4 hours!). She’s been a trooper for the past week. However, the pain and damage is too severe for her to have a good quality of life. Nephew didn’t know this bird recently developed the skills to fly over the 9ft gate. When the dogs normally come over to visit, the entire flock is usually secured in a very large 600sqft fenced grass/garden pen. The dogs ignore them. The crazy thing that day the dogs felt so guilty! I didn’t know what happened yet when I got home at the front of the yard/house. The pair of them came around heads down. The brindle couldn’t look at me and kept his head turned away while I pet and rubbed their heads. The brindle is the more active hunter as he has clears most rabbits from our yard.

😢 Thank you for this method. I have a lively old hen that was caught by my nephew’s dogs. The wound is very deep along the back tail area. Surprisingly she tolerated one human oral dose of norco (hydrocodone-acetaminophen for a 4 hours!). She’s been a trooper for the past week. However, the pain and damage is too severe for her to have a good quality of life. Nephew didn’t know this bird recently developed the skills to fly over the 9ft gate. When the dogs normally come over to visit, the entire flock is usually secured in a very large 600sqft fenced grass/garden pen. The dogs ignore them. The crazy thing that day the dogs felt so guilty! I didn’t know what happened yet when I got home at the front of the yard/house. The pair of them came around heads down. The brindle couldn’t look at me and kept his head turned away while I pet and rubbed their heads. The brindle is the more active hunter as he has clears most rabbits from our yard.
I am so sorry, :hugs not an easy task to do but sometimes necessary. My heart goes out to you. ❤

Back
Top Bottom