Killing my chicken humanely with medication

lachie27

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
My 3 week old chicken is really sick and is not thriving. She is suffering and I can't stand to watch, I want to humanly put her to rest but all the posts say to either use carbon dioxide which causes suffering or chop its head off which I cannot do. Please help I do not want her to suffer any more and want it done quickly. I only have access to over the counter medication like panadol ibuprofen and Benadryl could someone give me ideas and dosages.

Welcome to BYC, I'm so sorry you have a sickly chick. It's hard to lose one.

I don't have any experience putting a sick bird down so maybe someone else can chime in on the best method. If necessary, can you find someone else to do it for you?

You have my sympathy.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about your bird. Get some Engine Starter Fluid. It is mostly Ether. Towel her up and lay her on her lap. Spray down a rag really really well. Hold it over her beak and nostrils. She will go to sleep in 30 to 45 seconds. Keep holding the rag over her beak and in another minute her heart will stop. Keep holding it on her for another minute or so until you know she is gone.

I don't care for blood and gore either. This is a painless way to go. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

I don't think those are quick and likely will cause discomfort. Look at all the problems states are having finding a drug to execute the death penalty.

Snapping the neck is the fastest and most humane.

It is horrible but necessary.
x2
Don't dry Carbon Dioxide poisoning. I did it, and I was told the bird would "fall asleep." However, I was horrified because my bird experienced 5 minutes of suffocation.

Hey lachie27

I am sorry to read that your little chick is not thriving.

Like you, even if it is the right thing to do, I can not bring myself to put a sick bird to rest myself.

I do not have anyone who could do it for me either.

In the past, I have taken a chick which was obviously not going to make it and suffering to the Vet and they euthanased it for me. As I am a regular there with my cats, they did not charge me a fee.

Do you have a Vet near by? You may find that they will do this for you for a very small fee just to cover the medication or may be no fee at all.

Back
Top Bottom