Lethargic hen after ivermectin + worm + thin egg shell.

ChickenmamaAZ

Hatching
Apr 27, 2024
Help please, and I’m totally grossed out on top of my hen being sick

Ugg, here is the background:

My entire flock is 8 months old. All new flock raised from chicks except one very old hen.

Noticed some of my hens combs having dark spots on them and a couple chickens with poopy butts. (My old hen has poopy butt often)

After closer examination I found mites on 2 out of 15 hens. I’ve literally been freaking out. I did a lot of reading.

I ordered Elector PSP. But since it was going to take 5 days to arrive, I decided to use ivermectin to start.

2 weeks ago I dewormed them with pour on Ivermectin, used 3 drops for small ones, 5 drops for bigger girls. Placed between should blades.

About 5 days after deworming I stripped coop, drenched EVERYTHING in Elector PSP and dipped my chickens in Elector PSP bath. It was diluted according to directions.

Everything going good, all hens butts been clean. No mites seen anywhere

I however read that mite eggs can hatch back out, so I dewormed again Wednesday night with same ivermectin pour on.

Yesterday (Friday) 1 1/2 days later I notice a Black Copper Maran puffed up, lethargic. Reluctant to move. She has yellow and green poop on her butt.

Also, when I collected eggs yesterday, one of my BCM eggs was so thin shelled it broke in my hand. I only have 2 BCMs, so guessing it is hers.

Today she is no better. Not wanting to walk or move at all. Did more reading. I just did an Epsom soak in warm water and with a gloved hand inserted my finger into her vent. I could feel something and when I removed my finger there was a live WORM wrapped around my finger 🙈🤮

My hen pooped, it is yellow and very green. I did not feel an egg or broken egg or anything else. I can only insert my finger about 1 1/2” inches. My hen isn’t any better. Help, what to do for the hen?

And besides the hen, what about the worm being ALIVE after deworming twice?

I am completely grossed out to say the least. The only good thing is I have NOT seen any mites anywhere on anything.

Advice please 🙏🏻

Here is the worm and a pic of poop that came out of her bath water
IMG_2062.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpeg
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    988.3 KB · Views: 2
Sorry to hear that

You could put DE (diatomaceous earth) in her food, which is a dewormer I use, that is very effective. Ivermectin is effective to all worms except tapeworms, so possibly that's the type of worms she has.

Have you tried feeding her? Is she eating/drinking at all? Again, you can put DE in her food for deworming, it kills and prevents worms

D.e won't do anything to treat or prevent worms, it's also a respiratory irritant and a product of strop mining.
Ivermectin hasn't been recommended for worming for years due that's its lost efficacy in most internal avian parasites.
Can you get valbzen goat wormer?

Have you tried feeding her? Is she eating/drinking at all? Again, you can put DE in her food for deworming, it kills and prevents worms
I was able to get her to drink some water by putting her beak in it. She will not eat, she won’t stand. She’s just laying there puffed up.
D.e won't do anything to treat or prevent worms, it's also a respiratory irritant and a product of strop mining.
Ivermectin hasn't been recommended for worming for years due that's its lost efficacy in most internal avian parasites.
Can you get valbzen goat wormer?
I’ve never heard of Valbzen, and not seeing I can get it quick. Is it better than Safeguard? I was going to get Safeguard for Goats, I can have that here by tomorrow

I was able to get her to drink some water by putting her beak in it. She will not eat, she won’t stand. She’s just laying there puffed up.

I’ve never heard of Valbzen, and not seeing I can get it quick. Is it better than Safeguard? I was going to get Safeguard for Goats, I can have that here by tomorrow
Does it treat roundworms?

Back
Top Bottom