Maine

We get most of our fruit trees and bushes from Fedco, but last year we discovered our peach tree suffered frigid winter death too late for a Fedco order. DH bought some new fruit trees here: http://www.maineapples.org/directory/index.php/orchards/elwell-organic-fruit-orchards-and-nursery

He said the guy is a wacko, but of course, that is a matter of personal opinion. The guy went on a political rant that was counter to DH's stance. By that time, DH was enjoying some tea and cookies with this lonely widower, so he just smiled politely and came home with his trees.

Did anyone happen to catch the story on NPR about the Italian immigrants who bring their fig trees here to the states? I think this guy was in Pennsylvania, where his tree would not survive the winter. Every fall before the ground freezes, they dig a large trench and pull the whole tree over. It uproots everything but a few main feeder roots, and then they bury the entire tree until spring (when they stand it up and let it grow again). The report said it was a lot of work, but worth those delicious figs. I love fresh figs! Maybe if we dug a trench with the tractor......

We get most of our fruit trees and bushes from Fedco, but last year we discovered our peach tree suffered frigid winter death too late for a Fedco order. DH bought some new fruit trees here: http://www.maineapples.org/directory/index.php/orchards/elwell-organic-fruit-orchards-and-nursery

He said the guy is a wacko, but of course, that is a matter of personal opinion. The guy went on a political rant that was counter to DH's stance. By that time, DH was enjoying some tea and cookies with this lonely widower, so he just smiled politely and came home with his trees.

Did anyone happen to catch the story on NPR about the Italian immigrants who bring their fig trees here to the states? I think this guy was in Pennsylvania, where his tree would not survive the winter. Every fall before the ground freezes, they dig a large trench and pull the whole tree over. It uproots everything but a few main feeder roots, and then they bury the entire tree until spring (when they stand it up and let it grow again). The report said it was a lot of work, but worth those delicious figs. I love fresh figs! Maybe if we dug a trench with the tractor......

I love how your husband was having tea and cookies with a widower. He's a special guy.

We are likely going to head south today and stop in at Smiling Hill Farm. I love their milk and have a ton of bottle returns. Unfortunately the barn yard is closed, I do enjoy a stroll through there (they have emus!).

Would anyone in the Augusta area be willing to lend me their incubator at the end of this week? I know that's a stretch but I'm not sure everything I bought to come this week will fit in my Octagon. If not I will do my best to convince my banty hen that she should be broody (she's almost always broody) but she's one of only 3 birds currently laying eggs for me. That would be bittersweet if she complied.

I bought some unique apple trees and fruit bushes from RH Shumway last year. They were all healthy and survived.

Thanks SCG. will check them out.
Sorry to be MIA...busy with kids,work,issues with school. Took my 11yo, almost 12yo, out of public school. Many issues with allergic reactions and missed time...still awaiting surgery for the hip and working...
Q.T. Hip surgery for yourself? I wish you the best. Will pray for a good outcome. I also wish you the best with home schooling. A lot of work, but well worth it.

fig trees: Every fall before the ground freezes, they dig a large trench and pull the whole tree over. It uproots everything but a few main feeder roots, and then they bury the entire tree until spring (when they stand it up and let it grow again). The report said it was a lot of work, but worth those delicious figs. I love fresh figs! Maybe if we dug a trench with the tractor......
thanks, Bucka. I've not had good luck with Fedco b/c they never have what I want in stock. Will try the other company. There was an article about burying fig trees in organic gardening a number of years ago. I bet you could do a bit of a trench, topple the tree, weight it down and cover it well with compost, leaves, etc. But that might make it more vulnerable to mouse damage.

Last edited:
QT, I had my left hip replaced in 2001. It gave my back my life. Prior to the surgery, the question was NOT, "Are you in pain?" It was, "How bad is the pain?" I can do almost anything now. The two cautions my doctor had for me was to control the amount of pounding I did on the hip with any exercise I chose, and no black diamonds on the ski slope. So, no running, no moguls, no black diamonds, and no jumping off the roof. Otherwise. it is all good.

After an unsuccessful start to our first laying season (only a couple of our hens ever began laying), we decided to try out supplemental lighting to make sure that it was light,and not another factor, affecting our flock. I am so happy to see the entire flock now showing signs of laying, and there are now 4-5 eggs a day! I thought this would happen earlier than 40+ weeks, but we're just glad to have eggs. Thankful as well.

They will crack. Most likely you'll see a hairline crack. If the membrane is intact, and the egg was not dirty, I personally would feel ok using such an egg in cooked products, like for baking. If the membrane has ruptured (egg leaks out after the egg is thawed) I'd cook it up and feed it back to the flock or to other animals. Some folks have no problem using the latter in their own cooking. It just depends on your comfort level. The texture of the egg will be changed. Unfortunately, the frozen egg I found was on the floor of the coop, and I only found part of it. Often when an egg freezes, the rupture attracts the attention of the birds, and they eat the "eggsicle". IMO, this may be the beginning of a difficult to break egg eating habit.

I can only get out to the coop before and after work on week days, so eggs can be in the nest box all day. Last year, even with the below zero temps, I only had one egg freeze to breaking. All the others were just fine. I brought them in & put them in the carton in the fridge. I used them for frittatas and scrambled and fried eggs. I could not tell a difference. My coop has lots of ventilation and no insulation. Your mileage may vary. :)

Back
Top Bottom