March 2023 hatch-a-long

Mine look more like miniature chickens now than flooffy chicks.
Mine turn 4 weeks tomorrow...

Had them outside for a little bit today, coop almost finished... Definitely look (and sound) little mini chickens... Then the question is to incubate more??
PXL_20230407_174128003.jpg

Not sure which one you are mentioning but if the red band one sadly I'm getting the impression it's a boy. Tomorrow I'll be taking all their pictures for the grow along thread as it will be their 4 week b day.
The one in front, in the middle. That is trying to camouflage itself in the leaves! :lau

I would so take it from you if it was male!

The one in front, in the middle. That is trying to camouflage itself in the leaves! :lau

I would so take it from you if it was male!
Ah, Cuprous (the name we gave it). Unsure what sex is (or breed as they are all backyard mutts, but definitely thinking theres some EE in the mix). Loving the color, the last few days it's started getting a little mohawk hairstyle so realy wondering whats in there (best guess... EE hen under a Golden laced polish roo). Will be very sad if it ends up being a roo..

Ah, Cuprous (the name we gave it). Unsure what sex is (or breed as they are all backyard mutts, but definitely thinking theres some EE in the mix). Loving the color, the last few days it's started getting a little mohawk hairstyle so realy wondering whats in there (best guess... EE hen under a Golden laced polish roo). Will be very sad if it ends up being a roo..
South Jersey, huh? Hmmm... Boyfriend lives in Brooklyn... Can have him smuggle something across the border when he comes visit, lol!

How do you keep a chicken quiet, though?

Think I saw put in bowl/cup, if unabsorbed yolk, so chick can't move around and leave in incubator to absorb.
I’ve got one that had a HUGE unabsorbed yolk. There are several still unhatched eggs and one that successfully hatched and was wet but walking around. (I started with 40 eggs. 28 hatched successfully and are in the brooder. ) so, I opened the incubator , grabbed the one chick with huge unabsorbed, as per suggestions on another poster on this site, I quickly wrapped in a paper towel, placed in a small cup and placed back into the incubator. He’s spent the night wrapped in the cup. His head is not covered so he can see & interact with the other hatched chick, but safe from harm as he can’t drag the unabsorbed yolk nor the other chick peck or damage it either. I viewed Them a few minutes ago. THe chick in cup is alert, glanced up at me thru the window, so at least I know he’s alive. The humidity & heat are right on target. The incubator doing a great job.

Back
Top Bottom