MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Hello All! I have 36 eggs in the Bator right now. 6 Rouen duck eggs, 18 OE's, and 12 barnyard mix. My duck eggs are on day 6 and I just set my chicken eggs today. I've been running my humidity for the duck eggs at 75%+ but know from experience, my chicken eggs don't seem to hatch out as well with that high of humidity.
My last chicken hatch I stayed pretty consistent at 40% humidity until lockdown and had an 85% hatch rate.

What are your suggestions for humidity?
75% is high for ducks, let alone chickens. I had my first batch of ducks at 60% and had I not checked air cells a week before lockdown, they would've drowned because hey hadn't lost enough water. 40% will be fine for ducks as well. I'd just monitor air cells and stop adding water as opposed to removing water so the humidity drops naturally :)

75% is high for ducks, let alone chickens. I had my first batch of ducks at 60% and had I not checked air cells a week before lockdown, they would've drowned because hey hadn't lost enough water. 40% will be fine for ducks as well. I'd just monitor air cells and stop adding water as opposed to removing water so the humidity drops naturally :)

Okay, everything I've read keeps telling me 70+. I'll drop the humidity back down to the 40's! Thanks!

Okay, everything I've read keeps telling me 70+. I'll drop the humidity back down to the 40's! Thanks!
I read an article on Muscovy egg incubation that says that number is meant as a wet bulb sort of thing and translates to 50ish% which the person said was high regardless, that 30-35% ("dry" incubatiob) was perfectly fine for ducks as long as air cells were monitored. So if you have good results at 40% then I'd say that's a safe number :)

Ok, I am officially chicken crazy. Just ordered some Bielefelder eggs for my broody. She is a bantam Orpington so I don't know how many she can sit on but I thought I'd let her try.

today is hatch day! of 16, so far 14 have hatched.

2 more have pips, but they pipped late, so I'm giving them more time and leaving them in the incubator
fl.gif

here are some of the babies!
ya.gif

putting 16 more in the incubator today
yippiechickie.gif

today is hatch day! of 16, so far 14 have hatched.

2 more have pips, but they pipped late, so I'm giving them more time and leaving them in the incubator
fl.gif

here are some of the babies!
ya.gif

putting 16 more in the incubator today
yippiechickie.gif

celebrate.gif

I officially have a quail egg pip from the one who was rocking when I put them in the hatcher for lockdown. Two days early yet again. We shall see what happens
big_smile.png

Ok, I am officially chicken crazy. Just ordered some Bielefelder eggs for my broody. She is a bantam Orpington so I don't know how many she can sit on but I thought I'd let her try.
yesss.gif
When you get the eggs, put as many under her as she can cover. Then take one away. My understanding is that a bantam Orpington can cover quite a few!

Back
Top Bottom