MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I got a new toy :D

Aaaanddd I filled it.

And there are ten duck eggs in my other one on lockdown too, as well as a few overflow guinea eggs :th

I was reading about the slipped tendon. I have a 7:00 appt tomorrow morning with the only vet I know who sees chickens ... I hope she makes it! She's my daughters favorite!

Good luck! I hope everything goes ok.
Well so i guess opening the bator on hatch day by my daughter was bad. It dropped the humidity to less than 40% according to the puc she sent me of the chicks that were hatching. Something in there was smelling awful. So I got the chicks out quick.but all the ones that had been trying to hatch were having a hard time alrhough the humidity was back up the membrane was so tough and stuck they couldnt turn to zip i guess they would just keep pecking at the same hole. It would get bigger then i see that their feathers were dry in the shell. I helped peel the little silkie out no yolk and already almost fluffy. Then 2 AC did almost the same thing when i can see dry feathers poking out of the big pip hole i thought uh oh something is not right. I went ahead and candled 5 were still alive. It is day 22. 3 hatched with some minor assist. The other 2 no pip at all. Then no movement from the sizzle egg i checked again it had been 12 hrs. No movement it is DIS. I did 11 eggtopsies
1f62d.png
. 2 were upside down yolk sack present and huge. Looks like they died about day 19. 3 others small yolk but tough membrane i think they just couldnt pip it internally. The other 6 no visiable yolk.ans the membrane was stuck to them. The last 2 wouldnt have died if i had helped sooner. Man this can be hard on your heart. But i have bunch of fluffy puff balls running around the brooder. 2 still drying in the incubator. Ill have to do a head count to see how many I have of each.
Sorry about the humidity. That stinks.

Nobody has mentioned eating turtle! Snapping turtle is really pretty good. The only thing is the way the pieces move in the skillet. Crawdads in New Orleans; mouth watering! Adventuresome food is a good thing.
Yes, just never let your parents catch a HUGE one in a landing net, then put it in the boat with you and your bare toes, while far away from shore!!!!! That is a memory from childhood that I will never forget!!!!!!! They are mean buggers that can snap a toe right off! Luckily it didn't get mine, but almost! Hiss, hiss! UGH!

Joining the hatch a long!! I am Sue and I have 8 silkies in lockdown tonight!!
Welcome! Mine are in lockdown too.

Absolutely beautiful chickens!!!!!

I candled the Silkie eggs under the "Electric Hen" and 5/6 are developing with one clear... pretty good so far!

I put 7 more in an incubator this evening. I love an endless supply of Silkie eggs, it's like a dream come true.

I have one on day 17 and a bunch more on day 13 and day 10. I just want them to hatch already!!

Fun! Congrats! I hope you get a great hatch!

I got a new toy
big_smile.png

Aaaanddd I filled it.

And there are ten duck eggs in my other one on lockdown too, as well as a few overflow guinea eggs
th.gif
I have wanted one of these for a long time! Lucky!!! I'm jealous!
Wow! You fit 54 and those are regular size eggs, right?

Last edited:
I have wanted one of these for a long time! Lucky!!! I'm jealous!
Wow! You fit 54 and those are regular size eggs, right? 

Lol, all the white ones on the left hand side of the picture are actually duck eggs, so a little bigger than a normal egg. And yes, there are 54 in there because I have no self control.

Lol, all the white ones on the left hand side of the picture are actually duck eggs, so a little bigger than a normal egg. And yes, there are 54 in there because I have no self control.

Hey, if you've got it! Flaunt it!
ya.gif
I sure would! Very cool! I have the 20 in my classroom, and wish I had it at home to use! I use my old styrobator at home.

Joining the hatch a long!! I am Sue and I have 8 silkies in lockdown tonight!!
Welcome to the HAL.

I candled the Silkie eggs under the "Electric Hen" and 5/6 are developing with one clear... pretty good so far!

I put 7 more in an incubator this evening. I love an endless supply of Silkie eggs, it's like a dream come true.

I have one on day 17 and a bunch more on day 13 and day 10. I just want them to hatch already!!
fl.gif
Good luck

I got a new toy
big_smile.png

Aaaanddd I filled it.

And there are ten duck eggs in my other one on lockdown too, as well as a few overflow guinea eggs
th.gif
It was the only logical thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom