MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Bill called me at work. Couldn't answer because I was on another line. Then he texts this pic

White crested black Polish chicks! There were 5 at the feed store, he's turning around to get the other three. I LOVE that guy!

So I now have 11 ducklings :love I'm cuddling with them all right now. Pretty sure I was successful in getting them to imprint.

So I now have 11 ducklings
love.gif
I'm cuddling with them all right now. Pretty sure I was successful in getting them to imprint.

So cute! My 6 week old orpington cockerels are totally imprinted on me. I let them out with the big hens yesterday for the first time & when the hens would chase them the little ones would dash over to me & try to hide under me, lol. I never had chicks that friendly before.

I left school with 12 chicks hatched, one nearly out of the shell and one pretty far into the pip process. Five FBCM, five OE, and two BO by FBCM crosses. Today was day 22.

Quote:
congrats on all of the new ones and sorry about the DIS.

Thank you guys for the congrats and well wishes.
hugs.gif

As far as the DIS though, I'm not sorry. It's a bit disheartening as always
sad.png
...but I'd much rather have the strongest, most robust chicks make it out.
The DIS are that for a reason (which could be entirely my fault with my oopsies this time)
hide.gif

But I feel it's unrealistic to expect every live animal to be make it, and the chicks are no exception.
Maybe 10 years down the road I'll have my "invincible" chickens...lol. I've got a l-o-n-g way to go to get the chickens I expect...lol.

Quote: Lol...thank you! (Still have that ONE egg left)
th.gif

And I agree, the whole eggs' surviving stuff that long...is totally awesome!!

Quote:
I always had budgies as a kid and most were ok. Very loud in the early morning, even with the cover...lol. And yes, they were terrible mess makers!
I also had one that was bad for regurgitating the seeds and flinging them everywhere.
sickbyc.gif

About 23 years ago, DH gave me a young male. My mom pawned off an older female and a couple of days after she arrived, my male was dead.
hit.gif

And the old female was an old boot. I haven't had budgies since.

I know these guys are new and I'm expecting them to loosen up a bit...but if this is ANY indication of what they're going to be like, it's going to be very nice!
They came with a new fangled cage that has no mess feeders and the cage bottom is really deep. They haven't fluttered around yet or made ANY mess.
They've just chattered away to each other and have been SO well behaved. I have the cage sitting on our tax container ON THE CARPET.
Not ONE seed hull yet. Amazing!!
Even the DH and son are liking them.
big_smile.png

I must be conditioned to chicken poo because I'm amazed at how little poo they produce! (I remember it as being a HUGE job...lol)
I've also hinted at acquiring a male...and I think it's a go!!
celebrate.gif

9 chicks so far!! WooHoo!!
celebrate.gif
There would be 10 but one was lost sometime in the early morning hours. It was half zipped, but died in its shell. It had already passed when I woke up this morning. Not sure why it died. It wasn't sticky or mushy or anything out of the ordinary. So, I don't know what happen. Even with that sad discovery there are still nine chicks running around the incubator and 3 more pipped/trying to hatch.

love.gif

I have 2 pips!! One's at the wrong end of the egg but might be okay if I just wait a bit.
woot.gif

Bill called me at work. Couldn't answer because I was on another line. Then he texts this pic

White crested black Polish chicks! There were 5 at the feed store, he's turning around to get the other three. I LOVE that guy!
Bill sounds like a total sweetie!! That's fantastic!!
woot.gif

So I now have 11 ducklings
love.gif
I'm cuddling with them all right now. Pretty sure I was successful in getting them to imprint.

Awwwwwwww.
love.gif

Last edited:
All my babies hatched! Number 3 arrived early this morning.I started with 7 eggs. Three never developed. One met an early death but the remaining 3 are doing well. This was our first experience hatching. Great experience.

l.

Back
Top Bottom