MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Congratulations! What day are you on? 

Thank you!

Day 22 ends today at noon.

One egg is a Lavender Orpington, the other five hatched yesterday.
The other is a French Black Copper Marans, the breeder's rooster was injured and put down over a week before we were supposed to get eggs. We still bought Orloffs and Lavender Orpingtons from her, so she threw in four free Marans in case they were fertile. Only one developed. It looked great at day 18 candling.

Just jumped on here. The chicks I hatched at the beginning of the month were stolen by predators of some sort, I have a new batch in the incubator set on the 21st, and it looks as if cuddles has gone broody again.

I did the first candling of the eggs and tossed 13 clears of the 30 I set. It looks like Rosie's eggs aren't being fertilized. I will have to see if can get some time to bath her and give her a trim.

Last edited:
Oh and on terminology when I first joined the site I kept trying to work out how kanagaroos were related to a chook. It took a while to figure it was also used as short for rooster.
Isn't cockeral only males under 18 months old?

Last edited:
Just jumped on here. The chicks I hatched at the beginning of the month were stolen by predators of some sort, I have a new batch in the incubator set on the 21st, and it looks as if cuddles has gone broody again.

I did the first candling of the eggs and tossed 13 clears of the 30 I set. It looks like Rosie's eggs aren't being fertilized. I will have to see if can get some time to bath her and give her a trim.

Currently my laying hens/ pullets are
At least 2 silkies ( all 5 may be)
At least 2 mixed breed (4 may be)
At least 1 frizzle (5 might be)
Rosie the RIR.

The cokerals providing fertilization are
Roohen the rosecomb silkie.(approx 10months old)
William Wheaton the Wheaton Marans.
(Approx 6 months old)

Last edited:
Well all 12 of my broodies eggs have hatched. The 12 chicks are all healthy and doing well.
jumpy.gif

yeah all 8 eggs under polly hatched i have 3 booted bantams 3 bb x frizzle polish and 2 fp x orpington x bb(last batch ,in april this year, 6 out of 8 hatch but if the mum didnt come off the nest then their would have been 8 because the 2 were almost hatched :he anyway i got 4 booted bantams and 2 pekin x bb)

Just welcomed 20 new babies or of 21 eggs :) 18 CCL and 2 CCL/ameraucana crosses. The older turkey poults in the brooder are all hiding in the corner crying because there are little fuzzy aliens running around now lol

Surprise salmon faverolles chicks 8 of them..... I trim mamas bottom and got fertile eggs.... Wild little buggers tried to get a good picture but they kept finding hiding places.
I am tickled to death to get babies....

Back
Top Bottom