Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Tired. I primed the inside and outside plus the floor of the new coop yesterday.

I painted out the interior and floor with one coat of oil-based Barn White. It's curing now. I did a rough in on the trim in the front.

The mister built a foundation platform of wolmanized lumber and we got the 675 lb thing onto it's new base.

I have Barn Paint in Classic Green to do the outside - and having looked at the white painted floor - probably the floor inside as well. That white is going to show every speck - which was my thought because of mites - but I don't love it on the floor.

But then any reason to Go Green! GO White! Is a good reason... :)

I still have to do the secondary set of chicken wire as the skirt around the fencing with my wire twisters and some earth staples. I am only half done with that and several of the Easter Eggers decided to play escape artist where the gaps where to see what I was doing in the coop. Stinkers. I love the chickens.

Hi Kimmie welcome back
smile.png

we have chickies peeping this morning in the hatcher :)
we will have plenty of chicks available - i will be making a road trip to Angola, IN to the rural king on thursday morning, & could meet/deliver on my route there if anyone would like any

Stop. I am not far from there and if anymore show up I am in trouble. I heard the Mister tell the neighbor I had 20 and the neighbor almost stroked.

On the plus side - the Mister seems to have failed to count the other six arrivals I am studiously not discussing.

114 feet of mesh installed on the main run today.
I....am....ab-so-lute-ly.......exhausted.

Couldn't have done it without a buddy who did the hardest part......crawling under the coop to mesh the 'under-run'.
Took about 3-4 hours with his help, woulda taken me a week of partial days.

Couple small pieces for the door and then can start integrating the chicks into the flock.

Livestock panels for hoop coop arrived too, so design for that can be stepped up and hopefully done in a few weeks, cockerel chicks will go in there.

Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC. Well, actually joined a couple of years ago and popped in just a couple of times. This spring I've finally taken the plunge and will soon be a new chicken owner. Chicks are being delivered to Armada Grain(my local elevator) on May 10. 2-Buff Orps, 2-Barred Rocks, 2-Black Australorps, 2-Gold Laced Wyandotte, and 2-Ameracauna. Brooder will be ready next week, and lumber for the coop is being delivered on Wednesday.I will be building the Daisy Coop from CleenCoops.com. It is 4x8x7.5h. I will be modifying it to only have nest boxes on one end, and moving the pop door from the front to the end that has the nest box removed. Also will be attaching an 8x12x6 run to it covering top and both sides with 1/2" hardware cloth that I will bury 1ft deep and 1ft out from the sides to keep raccoon and coyotes out. I'm really excited to be starting this new adventure. I've done a lot of planning before making the leap. But now I'm worried that I went too small with the coop. Assuming all 10 chick's survive, will they be too crowded? Looking forward to reading up on this forum, and to any advice from the "pros". Oh, and I also plan to feed organic.

Welcome! Build bigger; ten will be tightly packed in there, especially in winter, and odds are you will get more birds later too. It's called 'chicken math' and many of us are seriously afflicted. Plan on coming to our summer picnic, 'Chickenstock' near Lansing June 11th. Mary

114 feet of mesh installed on the main run today.
I....am....ab-so-lute-ly.......exhausted.

Couldn't have done it without a buddy who did the hardest part......crawling under the coop to mesh the 'under-run'.
Took about 3-4 hours with his help, woulda taken me a week of partial days.

Couple small pieces for the door and then can start integrating the chicks into the flock.

Livestock panels for hoop coop arrived too, so design for that can be stepped up and hopefully done in a few weeks, cockerel chicks will go in there.
Got some progress done on my hoop coop as well. Got the panels in place, just need to finish wiring them together. Probably would have gotten that done today if somebody had come over to help me after she got out of work, instead of making me clean up and come over to see her for a bit.

Big night here as I'm letting the buffs stay out in the mini-coop tonight.

Back
Top Bottom