Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

The TSC in Three Rivers has removed all signs of chicks and rearranged the floor to it's regular configuration.

FF&H in Three Rivers said several more weeks yet...God bless them.

The local TSC usually only had straight runs unless it was ISA Browns, RIR, and once or twice they had Leghorn Pullets. And they had a 6 chick minimum - each time you bought. I have a hard time hiding 6 and pretending there wasn't a time space continuum issue and the population in the brooder did not miraculously jump...

On the other hand - FF&H had Pullets of Australorps, BO's, GLW and SLW, EE's and BR's. I get those aren't rare (I get hatchery as well - but it's my first flock so I am happy with it) but I appreciated the wider selection. And they let me get as few as I thought I could smuggle in successfully - so ultimately - TSC got one sale, and FF&H supplied 2/3'rds of my chicks. AND they ordered me one EE Rooster so I had one more full size Roo to handle all these girls.

Do I like TSC better in floor plan, print materials and web sites? Yes.

Have I bought nearly all my purchases including barn paint at FF&H anyway this spring? Yes.

Anyone who lets me order a singleton Roo of a breed I wanted gets a lot of love.

It's kind of sad that I know that FF&H here uses Townline - so I stalk the Townline site to see what else I can still score this season...

It's really sorry how bummed I am that Townline does not have Speckled Sussex, Mille Fleur OEGB, or anything Crele. I am obsessing about crazy pretty feather patterns. I go to the GFF website and just ooh and Ahhhh at all the pretty chickens.

Welcome to the new folks!  I DID NOT need to hear about FF&H having chicks longer, I've got too many already.  Yesterday all the Cackle babies moved to the coop annex with their heat lamp, and today the broody mama moved her two week old's to the back corner of the main coop.  Mary

And Cackle has almost every pretty chicken I covet. Maybe next Spring. Hope springs eternal...

Hi guys

New member here from michigan

I live on the west side, little town called west olive

Its north or Holland, south of Grand Haven

New to the forum and to chickens. I got my first 9 chickens ever this spring. I got 4 buff orpingtons (which is one breed i wanted really bad) I have 4 Isa browns also, with 1 americauna (we recently lost to a unknown source)

Im looking for input on where i can get some welsummer pullets? I cant find them anywhere online or local?

Wondering if you guys from michigan can help me out.....Love to get some females about 5-7 weeks old to avoid the whole chick/heatlamp situation if i can

Anyway, This is a very helpful forum....i came here alot when i was researching this spring....just decided to join since i find myself coming back quite often

Thanks

Scott

Hi guys

New member here from michigan

I live on the west side, little town called west olive

Its north or Holland, south of Grand Haven

New to the forum and to chickens. I got my first 9 chickens ever this spring. I got 4 buff orpingtons (which is one breed i wanted really bad) I have 4 Isa browns also, with 1 americauna (we recently lost to a unknown source)

Im looking for input on where i can get some welsummer pullets? I cant find them anywhere online or local?

Wondering if you guys from michigan can help me out.....Love to get some females about 5-7 weeks old to avoid the whole chick/heatlamp situation if i can

Anyway, This is a very helpful forum....i came here alot when i was researching this spring....just decided to join since i find myself coming back quite often

Thanks

Scott

Welcome and congrats on your first post. I know right where West Olive is.

Townline Poultry Farm in Zeeland used to offer Welsummers, and Family Farm and Home in Holland used to carry them (they got them from Townline), but apparently Townline no longer has them. They sold them straight run, but they are pretty easy to sex as chicks if you know what to look for. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of anyone locally who sells/breeds them, but maybe someone else on here does.

Good luck!

Welcome and congrats on your first post. I know right where West Olive is.

Townline Poultry Farm in Zeeland used to offer Welsummers, and Family Farm and Home in Holland used to carry them (they got them from Townline), but apparently Townline no longer has them. They sold them straight run, but they are pretty easy to sex as chicks if you know what to look for. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of anyone locally who sells/breeds them, but maybe someone else on here does.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply! nice to have a michigan only thread going here! thats a great idea by the forum mods!

I will continue to search, i may just have to order them from cackle hatchery and wait. I really dont want to start with chicks all over again....but that might be my only chance to get some welsummers!

Thanks again, i will continue to search and see what i come up with

Hi Scott, engine to BYC and the Michigan thread
smile.png

Last Welsummers here were hatched from shipped eggs, but I have only 1 hen. Hope you can find some.

this must be a rare breed of chickens. I suppose i could settle for 2 rhode island reds, and 2 barred rocks....but there is something special about welsummers that make me want to hold out

ill find some eventually

How come welsummers are so sought after? I see quite a few people looking for them. I'm new to chickens and feel I may be missing out on something :)

I have some Marans/Welsummer crosses...but they're only about a week old and we're over two hours from you. Kind of far to go for chicks.
haha thats very nice of you to offer, if they werent crosses, and "pure" welsummers, i would make the drive in a heartbeat.....thats how much i want to get these.

I did find some online, but i pay 15-18 dollars for 4 chicks, and 45 to ship them!!!!

Ahh, i understand why shipping is expensive, but 45 is a little much...thats why im holding out for someone local!!! or within a few hours

Thanks guys for the offers, if anybody near/close to the west side of michigan with pure welsummer females please let me know either here or PM

Back
Top Bottom